Chapter Fifteen: A Wish and a Prayer

Though she knew that she had done the right thing for Mrs. Weasley’s own well-being, now she wasn’t so sure about her own. Mrs. Weasley’s words kept echoeing throughout her memories - causing her to truly question everything.

But she didn’t have time to do this now - squished in the backseat of the cab between Fred and Ginny, Boudica remaining blissfully un-crushed from where she laid in a fluffy black circle upon Anna’s lap.

In the few weeks that Anna had been caring for her, Boudica had grown significantly in size, and she was just beginning to understand some of the words that Anna had been teaching her.

She reached to pet the young cat between the ears as Boudica snuggled deeper into Anna’s eyelet lace top.

“So what do you think about our new teacher?” Ginny asked when they could finally breathe, out of the stuffy taxi and walking along the stone paths of King’s Cross. Anna raised an eyebrow and shrugged. “I don’t know yet. I’ve never heard of him. You can’t judge someone you’ve never met.”

“I don’t know about that.” She cupped a hand around her mouth as she whispered into Anna’s ear. “Mum says that he’s paranoid. Sees Dark Wizards everywhere now after capturing so many. I think he’s mad.”

Anna rolled her eyes as they went through the brick wall together, all the other wizard families swarming and buzzing around them, goodbyes happening all around them as parents sent their children aboard the Hogwarts Express. “Well, at least if that Defense against the Dark Arts ‘curse’ holds up, we’ll only have to deal with him for a year.”

Ginny snorted as they worked together to shove their trunks aboard the train before running back to the platform to say a quick goodbye to Mrs. Weasley, Bill, and Charlie.

“Goodbye, Mrs. Weasley. Thank you..for this summer. It’s been great, living in the Weasley household.” Anna said, tucking a few stray hairs behind her ear, suddenly feeling awkward. She had never been good with exposing her heart, and saying aloud how she felt. But Mrs. Weasley deserved it. She deserved everything.

Mrs. Weasley gave her a warm smile before embracing Anna tightly. “Well, you’ll always have a place in our home, Anna. Never forget that.” Anna sent Mrs. Weasley a nervous smile before waving goodbye as she went over to the rest of the group, who were all standing in front of Charlie.

“I actually might be seeing you all sooner than you think.” Charlie was saying - a mischievous glint in his eye. “Why?” Fred asked keenly. “You’ll see. Just don’t tell Percy I mentioned it - ‘it’s ‘classified information’, until such a time the Ministry seems fit to release it’ after all.” He quoted his brother.

But before any of them could ask more, the whistle for the train had blew, and the three older figures were pushing them all into the train, leaving them in the dark as the doors closed and they waved goodbye from the platform as it disappeared into the distance.

They all made their way into their compartment, and Anna couldn’t help but sigh in relief as she sat down, allowing Boudica to finally be set free with the compartment door closed. Though she loved that cat as much as she loved any of the rest her friends, her tired arms didn’t think that they could handle Boudica's weight for any longer.

“We might have to cut down on the food when we get to Hogwarts, huh?” Anna couldn’t hold back her laugh at the bewildered expression that came upon Boudica’s face. "I love food! Food is my bestest friend" She remarked, causing Anna to laugh even harder.

“Wow. Boudica sure seems to be progressing quickly.” Ginny remarked as Boudica gave Anna an affectionate rub before moving to the empty seat at Ginny’s other side as the kitten cuddled up with the small blanket that Anna had decided to bring along. “She’s almost as big as Crookshanks now.”

“I know, but she doesn’t really seem to be getting chunky. She looks lean if anything. It’s just her actual length.” Anna tried to explain. Ginny shrugged. “Maybe you should take her to Madam Pomfrey - maybe Boudica is cursed to be the cat of a giant!” She teased as both girls laughed.

They spent time together and with other friends as the afternoon passed - Anna even tried her hand at sketching once again. Since her foster family’s death, she hadn’t gone much into the art world, her creative mind clouded by grief. But though she was definitely getting better, the strokes never came out like they did before, and each drawing had something off about it that Anna could never place until she just gave up - deciding to join in on the conversation, still full of talk about the Cup match.

“Gran didn’t want to go. Wouldn’t buy the tickets. Sounded amazing though.” Neville said miserably. “It was!” Ron said excitedly - either not noticing Neville’s disappointment, or not caring. “Look at this, Neville.”

He took out his miniature of Victor Krum. “Oh, wow.” Neville said enviously as Ron placed it into his hands. “We saw him right up close, as well.” Ron continued excitedly. “We were in the Top Box-”

“For the first and last time in your life, Weasley.”

Anna’s eyes seemed to roll of their own accord as her head swiveled around to face none other than Draco Malfoy.

“Don’t remember asking you to join us, Malfoy.” Harry said cooly, but Malfoy continued to ignore him, pointing towards Ron’s lace dress robes. Ron immediately jumped up to stuff the robes out of sight, but the damage had been done, and Malfoy and his gang of 2 were still laughing hilariously.

“Shove off, Malfoy.” Anna snapped, crossing her arms as she furrowed her brows in agitation. But he simply brushed her off - as if she were a mere insect, continuing on. “Are you going to enter, Weasley? Going to try and bring a bit of glory to the family name? There’s money involved as well, you know..you’ll be able to afford some decent robes if you want..”

“What are you talking about?” Ron asked hotly.

“Are you going to enter?” Malfoy repeated slowly, as if Ron was couldn’t understand English. He turned around to face Harry, a disdainful look on his face. “I suppose you will, Potter? After all, you never miss a chance to show off, do you?”

Hermione’s book suddenly snapped shut as she looked Malfoy in the eye. “Either explain what you’re going on about or go away, Malfoy.” She said tersely. Suddenly, a gleeful smile spread across his face.

“Don’t tell me you don’t know?” He said with delight. “You’ve got a father and a brother at the Ministry and you don’t even know? My God, my father told me about it ages ago..heard it from Cornelius Fudge. But then, Father’s always associated with the top people at the Ministry...maybe your father’s too junior to know about it, Weasley...yes..they probably don’t talk about important stuff in front of him.” Laughing at his own remark, Malfoy beckoned to Crabbe and Goyle before the three finally left.

Still steaming, Ron got to his feet and slammed the door behind them, causing the glass to shatter. “Ron!” Hermione exclaimed, pulling out her wand to mutter a small spell as the glass shards formed back into a single pane and inserted itself back into the door.

“Well, making it look like he knows everything and we don't…’Father’s always associated with the top people at the Ministry’....Dad could’ve got a promotion at any time...he just likes it where he is.” Ron snarled.

“Of course he does,” Hermione said quietly. “Don’t let Malfoy get to you, Ron.” She warned. “Him? Get to me?” He scoffed. “As if.”

But Ron’s rotten mood lasted for the rest of their journey - not that Anna could blame him. Malfoy’s words still irked her - and Mr. Weasley wasn’t even her own father.

By the time they finally reached Hogwarts, thunder rumbled overhead as sheets of rain poured down upon them.

Anna took a deep breath, letting the rain soak her flaming locks as she stopped in front of the great castle doors - Harry, Ron, and Hermione hurrying ahead in front of her.

She closed her eyes for a moment, whispering a wish underneath her breath, internally praying that it would come true. “Please let this be a good year yet.”