Chapter Eleven: Haunting Truths

“What’s going to happen to Winky?” Hermione asked quietly. They had just left the clearing, and Hermione was stealing looks over her shoulder every few seconds, attempting to see the house elf through the thick thicket of trees.

“I don’t know,” He replied honestly - but it was clear that there was a lot more on his mind then just Winky. Anna just let Hermione rant, at a loss for words herself. Though it had been a false alarm that Voldemort had finally risen again, it didn’t stop the all too real emotions that came with it.

Voldemort rising meant that Anna eventually had to die - it was just a matter of when, whether she died sooner or later, she had to die in order for Voldemort to die too.

She felt sick thinking about it - about how many people would have to die before she was willing to let herself die too - and that wasn’t even the most twisted part.

When Voldemort first attempted to kill her brother, their mother had protected them, creating a spell that only a mother’s love could. And then Anna - a four day old infant, had taken the liberty to protect him as he tried to kill them - amplifying the spell tenfold. But, the forces of good and evil always had to be balanced, and because Anna had done something so pure, only something equally as evil had to happen. In order to kill Voldemort permanently, Harry had to kill Anna.

The truth was, her life was a ticking time bomb. Now all she could do was hope that she could contribute what she could to the world before finally ending it all.

Anna tried to focus on the goosebumps on her arms - her lips practically blue from the lack of a sweater. It was easier to focus on the cold then her emotions at the moment. She looked up to see Charlie poking his head from the boys tent. “Dad, what’s going on?” He asked. “Fred, George, and Ginny got back okay, but the others-”

“I’ve got them here.” Mr. Weasley said, bending down and entering the tent as Anna and the others followed suit. Bill was sitting at the small kitchen table, holding a bedsheet to his arm that was bleeding profusely. Charlie had a large rip in his shirt, and Percy was sporting a bloody nose. Fred, George, and Ginny looked unhurt, though shaken.

Anna went to gather some heat packs, bundling them around the sweatshirt as the kitten mewled with relief - snuggling deeper into the warmth. She then sat next to Ginny on the floor, who in turn only stole a curious glance at the kitten before laying her head on Anna’s shoulder. Anna was glad for their best friend telepathy, because Anna really didn't feel like explaining herself - not when explaining how she found the kitten could trigger an explanation on how she was an Animagus, and while she was spilling secrets, probably letting slip of her largest secret of all.

“Did you get them, Dad?” Bill asked with an edge to his voice. “The person who conjured the Mark?” Mr. Weasley looked like he had aged ten years. “No.” He admitted. “We found Barty Crouch’s elf holding Harry’s wand, but we’re none the wiser about who actually conjured the Mark.”

“What?” Bill, Charlie, and Percy echoed in confusion. “Harry’s wand?” Fred asked. “Mr. Crouch’s elf?” Percy asked, and Mr. Weasley launched into an explanation on what had happened in the woods.

“Look, can someone just explain what that skull thing was?” Ron said impatiently - interrupting Hermione and Percy’s row about house elves. Anna looked up. While Hermione had explained that it was Voldemort’s sign, she still didn’t understand the entirety of what it meant. “It wasn’t hurting anyone...why’s it such a big deal?” He finished.

“I told you, it’s You-Know-Who’s symbol, Ron.” She said. “I read about it in The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts.” She explained. “And it hasn’t been seen for thirteen years.” Mr. Weasley said quietly. “Of course people panicked..it was almost like seeing You-Know-Who back again.”

“I don’t get it.” Ron said, but Anna sort of understood. Though she had only been alive for four days during Voldemort’s treachery, she still understood the fear of him coming back, and what that meant. “I mean...it’s still only a shape in the sky.”

“Ron, You -Know-Who and his followers sent the Dark Mark into the air whenever they killed.” Mr. Weasley tried to explain. “The terror it inspired...you have no idea, you’re too young. Just picture coming home and finding the Dark Mark hovering over your house, and what you’re about to find inside...everyone’s worst fear...the very worst.”

Anna shivered. While there had been no Dark Mark hovering above her house the night her foster family was killed, she still remembered the emotions that had ripped her apart inside as she saw the open door...the broken furniture. Anna felt sympathy for those poor people, who had the knowledge that they were the only one in their family left standing. The first time she had lost a family, she still had Harry. She couldn’t fathom what horrible thing she had done to deserve her second family being ripped away from her too.  

“Well, it didn’t help us tonight, whoever conjured it. It scared the Death Eaters away the moment they saw it. They all Disapparated before we’d got near enough to unmask any of them. We caught the Robertses before they hit the ground, though. They’re having their memories modified right now.”

“Death Eaters?” Harry asked, speaking for Anna. “What are Death Eaters?” Though the two had been citizens of the Wizarding World for at least two years now, Harry three, they still had yet to learn everything.

“It’s what You-Know-Who’s supporters called themselves.” Bill explained. “I think we saw what’s left of them tonight - the ones who managed to keep themselves out of Azkaban anyway.”

“We can’t prove it was them, Bill.” Mr. Weasley said tiredly. “Though it probably was…” He trailed off. “Yeah, I bet it was!” Ron spoke suddenly. “Dad, we met Draco Malfoy in the woods, and he as good as told us his dad was one of those nutters in masks! And we all know the Malfoys were right in with You-Know-Who!”

“But what were Voldemort’s supporters-” Everyone flinched. “Sorry. What were You-Know-Who’s supporters up to, levitating Muggles? I mean, what was the point?” Harry amended. “The point?” Mr. Weasley asked with a dark sort of chuckle. “Harry, that’s their idea of fun. Half the Muggle killings back when You-Know-Who was in power were done for fun. I suppose they had a few drinks tonight and couldn’t resist reminding that lots of them were still at large. A nice little reunion for them.”

“But if they were the Death Eaters, why did they Disapparate when they saw the Dark Mark?” Ron asked. “They’d have been pleased to see it, wouldn’t they?”

“Use your brains, Ron.” Bill said tiredly. “If they really were Death Eaters, they worked very hard to keep out of Azkaban when You-Know-Who lost power, and told all sorts of lies about him forcing them to kill and torture people. I bet they’d be even more frightened than the rest of us to see him come back. They denied they’d ever been involved with him when he lost his powers, and went back to their daily lives...I don’t reckon he’d be over-pleased with them, do you?”

“So...whoever conjured the Dark Mark...were they doing it to show support for the Death Eaters, or scare them away?” Hermione asked. “Your guess is as good as ours, Hermione.” Said Mr. Weasley. “But I’ll tell you this - it was only the Death Eaters who ever knew how to conjure it. I’d be very surprised if the person who did it hadn’t been a Death Eater once, even if they’re not now...listen, it’s very late and if your mother hears what’s happened she’ll be worried sick. We’ll get a few more hours sleep and then try and get an early Portkey out of here.”

But even as Anna went back to her bunk, her mind wouldn’t stop giving her these horrible thoughts that had haunted her for years.

The worst part?

All of them were true.