Chapter Five: Morning Struggle

“Anna, it’s time to wake up.”

Anna groaned as she was awoken by Mrs. Weasley, whom she gave a thumbs up to show she was awake as she rolled over and stretched - nearly falling off the bed. The three girls groggily got dressed and stumbled down the stairs, collapsing into chairs at the dining table.

“Why do we have to be up so early?” Ginny said, rubbing her eyes. “We’ve got a bit of a walk.” Mr. Weasley said. “Walk? Are we walking to the World Cup?” Harry asked in confusion. “No, no. That’s miles away.” Mr. Weasley said quickly. “We only need to walk a short way. It’s just that it’s very difficult for a large number of wizards to congregate without attracting Muggle attention. We have to be very careful about how we travel at the best of times, and on huge occasions like the Quidditch World Cup-”

“George!” Mrs. Weasley suddenly said sharply, and everyone jumped. “What?” George responded innocently. George never responded innocently. “What is that in your pocket?” She asked. “Nothing!” He insisted. “Don’t you lie to me!” Mrs. Weasley pointed at George’s pocket. “Accio!” She cried out.

Several candies zoomed out of George’s pocket. He dived for them, but missed, and they went into Mrs. Weasley’s outstretched hand. “We told you to destroy them!” She said angrily. “We told you to get rid of the lot! Empty your pockets, go on, both of you!”

Eventually, with the heavy use of Mrs. Weasley’s summoning charm, all of Fred and George’s Ton-Tongue Toffees were found and tossed away, and the tension was still high as they walked out of the house - Fred and George both refusing to speak to her. “Goodbye, have a lovely time!” She said with a large smile. “And behave yourselves!” She added to the twins retreating backs.

And they walked in silence - all of them a bit too tired to speak coherently, but the lack of sleep didn’t seem to bother Harry and Mr. Weasley, who were both discussing Portkeys - everyday objects enchanted to allow wizards to teleport to other locations without apparating.

After a few minutes passed, the group had shifted into conversation - walking around had woken them all up a bit more. They were busy searching for the Portkey that would take them to the World Cup when a shout rang from over the hill. “Over here, Arthur! Over here, son, we’ve got it!”

“Amos!” Mr. Weasley said, grinning as he strode over to the man who called out, who Anna quickly realized was Cedric’s father. “This is Amos Diggory everyone!” Mr. Weasley greeted him. “He works for the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. And I think you know his son, Cedric?”

They all smiled, and greeted him except Fred and George - who still were a bit sour about the Hufflepuff and Gryffindor match. Anna flushed, remembering it. The match was still a stain upon her dignity that she wished would go away. “Long walk, Arthur?” He asked as Mr. Weasley shrugged.

“Not too bad. We live just on the other side of the village there. You?” Mr. Weasley asked politely. “Had to get up at two, didn’t we Ced? I tell you, I’ll be glad when he’s got his Apparition test. Still..not complaining. Quidditch World Cup, wouldn’t miss it for a sackful of Galleons - and the tickets cost about that. Mind you, looks like I got off easy..” Amos Diggory looked around at all the children behind Mr. Weasley. “All these yours, Arthur?”

“Oh no, only most of the redheads.” He said, pointing out Anna. “This is Anna, a friend of Ginny’s, Hermione, and Harry, both friends-” Mr. Weasley was cut off by a gasp. “Merlin’s beard. Harry? Harry Potter?” He asked in amazement. Anna noticed Harry had turned pink. “Er-yeah.” He said awkwardly.

Anna left them to their talk as she went over to Cedric, who was staring at the ground awkwardly. “Hey,” Anna said, making him look up at her. “I’ve been sending letters...have you been getting them?” She asked curiously. “Sorry, Anna.” Cedric immediately apologized. “I’ve been a bit busy. You know, summer’s the only time I get to spend with my parents, and..”

“Relax, Cedric. I’m not interrogating you.” She said with a shrug. “I was just curious.” Cedric gave her a relieved smile, scratching the back of his head sheepishly. “Must be nearly time.” Mr. Weasley said, and the two looked over to him. “Do you know whether we’re waiting for any more, Amos?”

“No...the Lovegoods have been there for a week already and the Fawcetts couldn’t get tickets.” Mr. Diggory said. “There aren’t any more of us in this area, are there?” He asked. “Not that I know of..” Mr. Weasley began. “Yes, it’s a minute off...we’d better get ready…” Harry and Anna wore matching expressions of confusion. “You just need to touch the Portkey, that’s all - a finger will do.”

The ten of them crowded around in a tight circle, all touching a part of the old boot. “Three...two...one..” It happened in less than a second. Anna felt a jerk behind her navel, and her feet left the grass, as if she were leaping into the air, but when her feet were back on the ground, they weren’t on the hill anymore.

“Seven past five from Stoatshead Hill.” A voice came from behind them.
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Keep going. You never know how strong you are until you look back at everything you've overcome."
  ~ Unknown