Chapter Thirty-Nine: The Pains of Commitment

“What are you doing with Draco?”

Anna’s head turned up in confusion. She had just been taking her usual Sunday morning stroll across the Hogwarts grounds when Cedric had seemingly come out from nowhere - his lips pressed together in a firm line and his eyes smoldering in frustration.

She adjusted her skirt and crossed her arms. “What do you mean? Draco’s not here.” It was just the two of them, standing by the lake together.

“You’re with him all the time - half the school thinks you’re dating him.” Cedric said tightly.

“He’s just a friend,” Anna interjected - though it sounded like she was trying to convince more herself than him. “We’re together all the time because we’re friends. How is that different from you spending time with Cho? You two are always together too.”

“That’s different.” He said quickly. “I saw you dancing with him - at the ball. And then the other day, Ginny told me that he asked you to brunch.”

Anna’s cheeks flushed red. Ginny! That little snitch! “You know Boudica - the other day she spent half the morning attached to his leg. It’s just a favor, that’s all.”

Cedric shifted his feet awkwardly, but his eyes never left her face. “Just...I don’t want to lose you, Anna. I know it’s been tricky lately, and I know I’ve been busy, but I..I still love you.”

Her expression softened, and she couldn’t help but place a hand on his shoulder. Because as much as she cared for Draco, Cedric was one of her special people too.

“If it really makes you uncomfortable, I’ll say no.” She offered, despite the pang in her chest.

As much as it hurt her to distance herself from Draco, she had made a commitment to Cedric by being his girlfriend - and relationships took work. She had to be willing to adjust things if she wanted to do right by him - right by both Draco and Cedric.

It wasn’t fair to lead Draco on, or herself for that matter. If distancing from Draco is what it took for everyone else to be happy, it’s what she would do.

Even if it meant she herself would never be satisfied.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry for the short chapter - it's just been one of those crazy weeks and time seemed to just slip through my fingers this time around.😅 I'll do my best to make next week's chapter a bit longer, but this is it for now! I hope all of you are having a great day and tysm for reading!
~ Jessie❤