Chapter Thirty-Six: A Dance of Temptation

“As friends, of course.”

There was a hint of sarcasm in his tone, and his eyes seemed to silently challenge her - as if daring her to say no to his proposal.

Anna hesitated, biting her lip. “I...I can’t, Draco.” She admitted after a long moment.

“Can’t or won’t?”

Won’t.” She replied firmly. Anna looked down at her feet. “I don’t want to take advantage of you and use you to ‘get back’ at Cedric or whatever. You deserve better than that.”

“Is that what this is?” Draco raised an eyebrow. “If I recall, I believe I’m the one who asked for a dance. You can’t be taking advantage of me if I’m the one asking to be used.”

Draco…”

He sighed, dropping his hand. “I know what you mean. I do.” Draco said, earnest. “But what’s the big deal about a little dance?”

The big deal? Anna’s heart was already pounding out of her chest - and they hadn’t even stepped out onto the dance floor yet.

Here she was - the great fool herself - trying to push her feelings down for the very person in front of her, asking her to do one of the things she loved most in the world. How the heck was she not supposed to catch feelings for Draco when he was literally going to sweep her off her feet?

He smirked, and her heart skipped a beat. “Unless it’s not about Diggory at all, and you’re just...too scared.”

And Draco had done it - winning his case and pushing every button he had intended to.

Anna’s eye twitched as she scoffed, taking his hand herself as she practically dragged him onto the dance floor. “Hope you know how to dance, Malfoy.” Anna huffed as the first beats of the music began, and they presented each other with a deep bow.

“You do realize you’ve never seen me dance before - don’t you, Potter.” He retorted - holding his hand up to hers, but not quite touching. Draco spun with her. “My mother took lessons for 7 years - who do you think was her esteemed partner?”

Knowing his father, Draco was most likely not referring to Lucius Malfoy.

She only smiled as the music began to speed up - leading to the actual song. “Okay then. Whisk me away.”

And whisk her away he did.

The song was slow at first, but got faster as time went on. The two remained perfectly in sync with the other as they stepped and twirled in all the right places - emerald never leaving silver all the while.

Draco hadn’t been bluffing - the boy could dance. His movements were effortless, and never faltered as the dance went on.

Even the sophisticated dancer she considered herself to be was stunned by his fluidity - and every time their hands touched, a wave of electricity seemed to pass through them, cliche as it was.

But it wasn’t until the end that he truly stole her breath away.

The song ended in a flourish, and time seemed to slow as he circled an arm around her waist and held her - tilted towards the ground, but held sturdy in his embrace.

Their faces were mere millimeters apart - lips almost touching. It would’ve been too easy for her to pitch forward and call it an accident, way too easy.

Draco’s eyes held hers - asking.

“We can’t.” She finally said quietly, her voice hollow. Her heart ached against her ribs. “We have responsibilities to remember - an obligation to others. Us...this is wrong.”

He came closer, and she practically sighed in relief as his lips missed hers, but stiffened once again when she felt his breath on her ear. “But how could something so wrong...feel so right?”

A small cough came from behind them, and the two practically leapt away from the other - but her arms still seemed to tingle from where Draco’s skin had touched hers.

Cedric stood there, his expression unamused as he eyed the two of them. “Anna.”

Cedric.” She breathed - face flushed. Whether it was embarrassment or the moment she had just exchanged with Draco, she couldn’t tell. “I..um..what are you doing here?”

He gestured towards the door, where everyone was already beginning to file out. “It’s late. I’m going to escort you back to your dorm.”

His voice was oddly cold, and shame blossomed throughout her chest.

She and Draco hadn’t done anything wrong...had they? Yes, they had almost kissed, and yes, they had danced, but nothing else had happened. She had still chosen Cedric, hadn’t she?

Anna looked back at Draco, whose face was unreadable as he nodded towards her. “He’s right. You should go and get some rest.” He said eventually. She wanted to ask more, but something seemed to tell her not to pry, and she nodded stiffly, giving him a tight smile.

“Thank you....for the dance. Good night, Draco.”

He nodded, but didn’t say anything else before turning away - stalking down the opposite direction.

She looked back to Cedric. His lips were pressed in a firm line, but he didn’t say anything as he nudged her slightly - placing a hand on her back as he began to lead her back to the Gryffindor dormitory.

“I didn’t know you still wanted to dance.” She said quietly. “If I knew, I would’ve asked.”

“No, no. It’s okay.” He said with a sigh. They walked in silence until they finally stopped by the Gryffindor portrait.

Anna caught the awkwardness in his stance as he moved forward then stopped - compensating for a small peck on the top of her head. “I’ll..um...see you tomorrow, Anna.”

“Okay. Good night, Cedric.” She tried to say ‘love you’ like she usually did when he dropped her off, but it seemed unfair to spout the words from her lips after the night that had just taken place.

He stiffly nodded, sending her a small smile of his own before making his way back to his own dorm.

But as Anna went to bed that night - Cedric’s reaction and obvious discomfort with her choice in dance partner nagging at her as she tried to fall asleep, there wasn’t an inkling of regret she felt when she finally closed her eyes.