Chapter Forty-One: The Discovery

She had already known it would hurt - Draco was one of her closest friends and confidants, and losing him was like losing a part of herself. But she didn’t expect it to be quite like this.

Anna felt hollow. Like all the happiness and joy she had gained over the years had disappeared along with him. Hell, she couldn’t even stop herself this time from changing into her animagus form and racing the emotions away.

But it was all for the best. Draco would be happy - that was all that mattered. And Cedric and her...they would find their own happiness too.

That’s bloody ridiculous!” Ginny had exclaimed when Anna had finally told her what she had done. Ginny’s earthy eyes were filled with fury. “I might not like Malfoy, but I know all that he’s done for you. To make you push him away - that bloody bastard-

“You...you think I shouldn’t have? Pushed him away?” Anna asked incredulously. Ginny was the one who went on and on about how Anna should remember she had Cedric whenever she and Draco hung out - who told her that having Draco as her male best friend was inappropriate when she already had Cedric.

Ginny flipped - throwing her arms up in the air. “It’s your life, Anna! He can’t tell you what friend you can have and what friends you can’t! Yes - he can talk to you about it. But compromise must be made. He can’t just ask you to...to get rid of all your friends.”

She then began pushing Anna out of the Gryffindor common room. “Go. Talk to your boyfriend before I knock some sense into him myself. Men.” Ginny hissed to herself as she closed the portrait behind her, and Anna couldn’t help but let a giddy smile stretch over her face.

It had only been a few days since she had ‘broke up’ with Draco, but the thought of being allowed to see him again was exhilarating. Even if she shouldn't. But Anna was convinced that if she talked to Cedric, it would all turn out just fine. It just had to.

He’s probably in his tent now. She thought to herself as she began walking out of the castle - crossing her arms around herself in a comforting gesture as the nervousness began to build up in her stomach.

The third task was starting in the afternoon - though all of the competitors stayed in designated tents until the task actually began for medical checkups and so on, but that wasn’t what was bothering her.

Will he understand if I ask to see Draco again? She thought to herself, pinching her sides. Will he be willing to compromise?

She finally arrived just outside his tent - about to call out and ask if she could come in - when she heard Cedric’s voice say a greeting. Anna was confused. Cedric couldn’t see her, could he?

“Hi, Ceddy.” Anna then heard another voice. She paled.

Many emotions flooded her in that moment, but she couldn’t just make assumptions - not when she couldn’t even see what was happening.

Anna couldn’t help herself.

She peeked, and found herself looking in to the sight of Cedric and Cho Chang kissing each other deeply.