Chapter Thirty-Seven: Lilies and Irises

The Hogwarts grounds were finally beginning to get warmer as spring began to take effect - the previously barren grounds growing with fresh grasses, sprinkled with assorted types of flowers.

Anna and Ginny walked across the grounds together in typical Sunday morning fashion - Anna picking various lilies and irises to paint later as Ginny talked; the topics varying from boys to quidditch and then to the future.

“The future?” Anna questioned - an eyebrow raised.

Ginny gave her a ‘duh’ look. “You don’t even have an inkling of an idea of what you want to do when you grow up?”

Truthfully, no. With the entire prophecy thing looming over her, and an uncertain future ahead of her, Anna had always found it easier to focus on the present.

“For example,” Ginny drawled. “When I finally graduate, I think I’d want to be a Quidditch player - or an Auror. I’d get married later, and I think I’d have around 2 kids.”

“2?” Anna asked incredulously. “You have such a big family, I’d think at least 4.”

“Too many names and birthdays to remember.” Ginny quickly dismissed. “I already have to remember 6 - and that’s not even including you, my parents, and the rest of my friends. I think I’d like to keep things simple.”

Anna nodded, though she didn’t really understand.

If she actually got the chance to grow up and try 'adulting', she’d think she would have a huge family - with at least 5 kids. Anna loved kids, and growing up switching from foster home to foster home until she finally stayed with the Hopkins, it had always made her wish she could just have one really big family filled with love and laughter; like the Weasleys.

“You and Cedric with 5 kids running around?” Ginny laughed after Anna explained. “I can see that.”

“Yeah.” She only said - deciding it was safer not to mention that the husband she imagined in her make-believe future wasn’t Cedric but a certain silver-eyed boy.

“Anna!”

Well. Speak of the devil.

Both the girls turned around to see none other than Draco Malfoy - walking towards them with his hands jammed in his pockets.

Malfoy.” Ginny said dryly.

Draco’s eyes narrowed. “Weasley.”

It wasn’t a secret that the two still didn’t get along well - and Anna still wasn’t sure if it was because they were vying for the place of ‘best friend’ or because Ginny was Team Cedric.

“What’s up, Draco?” Anna asked - trying to break the tension.

“I think you mean what’s down.” Draco deadpanned - bringing his leg forward to see Boudica clutching at the fabric of his pants.

Anna blinked. How had she not noticed that before when he had come down to greet them in the first place? Because it definitely wasn’t the fact that she was too busy staring at his eyes.

“She’s been latched onto my leg all morning. And as much as I like your cat, it’s hard to walk when I have 80 pounds of weight dragging behind me.”

Boudica..” Anna warned. Seriously - without her special Animagus ability to talk to animals, she never would’ve guessed that most cats were all seemingly attracted to Draco Malfoy and were all vying for his affections. She guessed they were all trying to claim him as their property, and it wasn’t an odd thing for Anna to be pulling kittens left and right off of Draco’s clothing. She couldn’t honestly say she wasn’t jealous.

Momma! It’s not fair! Silver-Eyes obviously likes me the most. If the other competitors don’t see me, they won’t know that he belongs to me!

Anna only wordlessly tugged on Boudica’s shoulders which caused the panther's jaw to relax, and she fell back behind Anna - scowling all the while.

Again - she definitely wasn't being so harsh because the entire time Boudica was saying he was hers Anna was thinking Draco was hers.

“Sorry about that. Boudica has been getting into a rebellious phase lately.” Anna apologized quickly - ignoring Boudica's glare. She wouldn't have been surprised if the cat attempted to suffocate her in her sleep that night.

“You know - if you really wanted to pay me back for this disturbance, you could come with me to the Three Broomsticks and treat me to brunch on the next Hogsmeade trip.” Drago said - his lips twisting into a crooked grin.

Anna’s jaw fell open. Did he really just say what she thought he said?

Luckily, Ginny responded first - stomping her foot on the ground in anger as her nostrils flared in fury. “You pompous flirt! She already has a boyfriend - and they’ve been dating for almost 2 years now.”

Draco snorted. “You and Diggory have been a thing since you were 12? Isn’t that illegal?”

Anna was sure the tips of her ears were tinged with red.

But before Anna could come up with a good retort, she suddenly caught eye of Professor McGonagall striding across the grounds.

She immediately straightened. “Professor? Is there...something you need?” Anna immediately made a list of any and all illegal things she had done recently - starting with she’s an unregistered Animagus and ending with she’s been in contact with a wanted criminal.

“You’re not in trouble, Miss Potter. I just have something I need to tell you in my office.” She said - her stern face leaving no room for otherwise persuasion.

Anna looked back to her friends - giving them an apologetic smile.

Draco only smirked in her direction. “I didn’t hear a no from you, Potter. I’ll see you at our next Hogsmeade trip.” And he ran off before she could say anything else.

Anna didn't even register Professor McGonagall chastising Ginny as the teen let out a string of unadulterated curses in Draco's direction.

A brunch together didn’t mean anything. She was just doing him a favour because her pet panther had been harassing him all morning - it was just as friends. They were just friends.

McGonagall coughed. “Today please, Miss Potter!”

Anna hoped she was right.