Chapter Eighteen | Moonlight Sonata

"BUT OF COURSE, there are plenty of single gentlemen present. What kind of house party would it be if I didn't ensure that some matchmaking could occur?" Lady Torrington said a bit gruffly.

"Mama said as much which is why she was so eager to let me come here after all." Lady Fiona replied.

"And why exactly did your mother not join us?" Lady Torrington questioned, "I do precisely remember extending an invitation to her as well."

Lady Fiona brushed her pale gown, "She was feeling under the weather. Thought it might be best to reserve her energy for the season instead of making her way down to the Chalcott manor and then back to her our home before traveling to London."

"I must say, the women in this age grow feebler. It must be all that water your drink."

Vivienne caught Lady Fiona's eyes and they both struggled to contain their smile.

"Now, there are plenty of gentlemen here that would make delightful husbands. It might be a good time to seek them out before all the vultures descend with their daughters in London."

"Lady Torrington!" one of the other ladies who sat close to them admonished upon hearing the last sentences.

The dowager countess ignored her and leaned into the both of them, "I didn't say anything wrong, and I meant what I said, to both of you." she added.

Lady Torrington caught Vivienne's surprised stare, "Yes Vivienne, I think it's an excellent opportunity to find someone suitable. Do not be afraid, talk to the gentlemen. Or better yet, let them talk about themselves."

Vivienne did not feel better after Lady Torrington's words of encouragement. What if she made an error in the way she spoke and gave away more information then she wanted to? She watched as the duke entered the room along with the other gentlemen.

"Ah, now that the gentlemen are here, shall we have some music to lighten the mood?" Lady Albermay suggested, from across the room.

If it was possible, Vivienne paled further. Although she had improved her playing of the pianoforte, it wasn't as excellent to be heard at a dinner party. To make matters worse, another lady, whose name she could not remembered commented on the fact that it was an excellent idea.

Still, nobody stepped forward and a slow mutter spread through the room.

It was Lord Berkeley's voice that carried across the room in a slow measured but light tone, "Any brave lady willing to demonstrate their fine pianoforte skills?"

It was Lady Fiona who spoke up from beside her, "I shall do it."

"You don't have to dear, if that is not what you wish," the dowager countess said softly.

"I don't mind Lady Torrington," Lady Fiona said standing up. "I truly don't."

Vivienne watched as Lady Fiona and Lord Berkeley exchanged a glance before he dipped his head once and pointed to the pianoforte. Vivienne admired Lady Fiona's bravery as she sat down on the bench, the eyes of lords and ladies fixated on her. She felt a presence beside her and looked up to see Lord Berkeley leaning on the wall of the chaises near her.

"I do hope you didn't force her into this," Vivienne said in a whisper.

"I don't think Fiona can be forced into doing much, Lady Vivienne. She is quite the free spirit."

"Hush now," Lady Torrington said from beside them.

Vivienne immediately quieted as the first notes of the pianoforte were played. The first few notes were hauntingly sad, as if someone was mourning the lost of a loved one. A feeling of melancholy filled her body as Vivienne brushed the corner of her eyes, remembering Agatha. Listening to the music reminded her of the numerous years spent in the village and how her governess cared for her through those times. She was the closest thing Vivienne had to a parent— and now she was lost while Vivienne was slowly easing her way into society, something she ought to be doing with Agatha by her side.