Chapter Thirty-Five | Return

JAMES LET OUT a yawn as he struggled to focus on the missives in front of him. After he had returned from the disastrous ball last evening, he'd drunk enough to squash his annoyance. Except all he saw in his dreams was Vivienne standing in the red dress, tears welling in her eyes. He had been the cause of those tears, but there was nothing he could do to stop them. He knew she had developed feelings for him, but James never expected them to be so deep.

He clenched his jaw and closed his eyes. Even with the tears, she had looked so beautiful. He swore the red dress was the same one he had picked out for her many moons ago at Chalcott manor. The colour looked vibrant against her skin and hair. There was no need for anything to adorn her neck as the cut of the dress made one's eyes fall there anyways.

James shook his head foolishly. He still did not know why he was recalling their kiss in the library either. Her lips had lit a fire in his body, but he was sure that was just because he had not taken a mistress in quite some time.

The fact of the matter was Vivienne did not need him. He was sure that some young buck would attract her attention soon enough. James had seen the flowers from her suitors arrive in the mornings even when the gents themselves did not. He had in inkling they were purposely staying away after learning that she was staying at his townhouse. If one thing the gentlemen of London knew was true, is that James would not permit the men to foolishly lounge in his house. He thrived on privacy. If they wanted to court her, they could do it elsewhere.

Combing his fingers through his hair, he forced himself to focus on the letter in front of him. Reading it, he suddenly leapt and opened the door to his study, "Preston, prepare the carriage at once."

James quickly gathered his hat and tailcoat before grabbing the letter as well. He made his way to the front door, surprised to see Preston walking towards him. "Is the carriage ready?" he asked impatiently.

"Well, Your Grace, about that..."

"Speak up," James said sternly. He did not like how Preston had started the sentence, he needed to get to Almonry quickly.

"None of the staff knew that you were going to make use of the carriage this morning. Hence why I believed it was alright for Lady Vivienne to use it when she asked."

James froze at the words, even as he opened the door. Vivienne stumbled on the other side, and he caught her before her head hit the floor.

"Ohh," she said quietly as he straightened her and stepped back immediately.

Not wasting a moment, he looked at her eyes. "What use do you have of the carriage?"

Her cheeks seemed warm, and James' eyes narrowed. She was blushing, but what for, he did not exactly know.

"She's going on a carriage ride with Captain Gronow," his great-aunt's word filtered through the hall as she walked with her cane.

James tensed as he unconsciously clenched his fingers into a fist by his side. Turning to his aunt, he asked, "And you're letting her go, without a chaperone that is?"

Aunt Esme's grey eyes pierced him with confusion, "I have arranged for her lady's maid to be with them. Also, why shouldn't I let her go? The captain seems like a kind man, in fact he has many of the Almack's Patronesses approval—something you will know is quite rare."

James did not have an answer to that. It would do him no good to argue, and would make him seem rather suspicious. Nevertheless, he turned towards Vivienne, "my apologies," he said stonily. "I'm afraid you will need to rearrange your ride in the park with the Captain. I have urgent need of the carriage."