Chapter Forty | Lineage

VIVIENNE WATCHED FROM the window as the footmen loaded her trucks onto the carriage. Her dresses, gloves, hats, and nightgowns had all been packed to be delivered to the Earl of Westmorland's townhouse. She herself, was also due to arrive there soon.

"It's time my lady."

Vivienne turned around and gave a weak smile to Millie, thankful that the girl would be joining her at her new home. "I'll be down in a minute," she said softly.

There was a knowing look in Millie's eyes before she curtsied and left the room. Vivienne took a deep breath and looked around the room she had called home for the last couple of months. The room looked bare without her scattered belongings lying on the dressing table. She snuck a look on the bedside table, and it remained empty, unlike the countless number of books that would always be found there during her stay.

The room seemed hollow and lifeless. All traces of her presence had been scrapped away. There would be another guest that would reside in the place someday. They would place their dresses in the same armoire Vivienne had, lay in the same bed Vivienne slept on, write letters on the same desk that Vivienne penned hers. This knowledge surprisingly irritated her.

Today she was set to find herself in a new home, one that was more permanent, yet she was still terrified. Terrified of leaving the place she had grown to liking. The Mayfair home was not exactly the warmest place in London, but she could not forget the many memories she had made here. This was the home in which she learned the truth of her heritage, but this was also the house in which she had fallen irrepressibly in love with the duke. She needed to let go and move on. Moving into a new home with her uncle could help with letting go. She would no longer be in close proximity with the duke.

Plastering a wavering smile, she took a deep breath and exited the room, forcing herself to keep moving forward and not look back. She descended the stairs, surprised to see James waiting for her by the door. He was dressed sharply in a dark green coat, white cravat, and black trousers.

"Your Grace, I didn't expect to see you here," she said politely, holding onto the banister.

His eyes roamed over her body as if taking in every detail for one last time. "It would be quite rude of me not to bid you farewell, Lady Selina"

She forced herself not to flinch at the name. She still was not used to being called Selina, it seemed like it was going to take some time to adjust. Smiling slightly to herself, she shook her head at his words. The duke never cared about being rude or how his actions were perceived, but it meant more to her than she could ever express that he came to bid her farewell. They were not going to see each other much after this. After all, they ran in different circles. It was only by a mere coincidence had they been brought together for a moment in time. Vivienne cherished every single second of that time, and she would continue to do so for the rest of her life.

After lengthy discussions between her uncle and James, both parties had freed the other from the betrothal contract. Vivienne was unsure on how to feel about that. A part of her was hurt that the duke did not fight for her, but he had never made his feelings clear. She was not as naïve to believe that the duke did not care for her, he did. But in exactly what capacity, would remain a mystery.

They were both free to marry whomever they pleased. Yet Vivienne had still rejected Captain Rees' proposal. It would have been disingenuous to the man and besides, living with her uncle meant that she did not need to find love this season. Maybe things would be better next year. It was for the best she was leaving the duke's home. It singled a new beginning for this next chapter in her life.

Vivienne cleared her throat, "I must thank you for everything you've done for me," she said softly. "I've been quite the burden—"

He flinched at her words. Echoed back to him from that night, but she ignored his expression carrying on, "—to you, but you gave me something that I thought was lost forever. I sincerely wish you the best."