Chapter Twenty-Six | Urchin

JAMES LEAPT OUT of the hackney and looked at the building in front of him. He had to admit, it was an improvement over the last one. There weren't whores lined up outside, but he could see a few pickpockets hiding on the roofs of some of the other buildings. Upon entering the building, he was immediately greeted by Baldwin.

They shook hands, "I'm pleased to offer my offices for your discussion, Your Grace."

James merely dipped his head and followed as Baldwin led the way. They entered a sparsely decorated office, but it had a sturdy table and two rather comfortable—but worn looking chairs. "I can see that you've made use of the blunt I gave you."

Baldwin's skin pinked but he nodded, "I will be forever grateful for that."

James didn't say anything as he settled into one of the chairs, throwing up his right foot over his left knee.

"Would you like a drink Your Grace?"

James nodded and Baldwin passed him a glass of port. He took a sip, trying not to wince at the bitter taste. It was quite different from the rich brandy he preferred but it would do for now. After all, his muscles were sore from sitting on horseback the entire day. All he wanted to do was return to his townhouse, but business called.

"Has the Bow Street Runner arrived yet?"

"I don't believe so Your Grace."

James shook his head in annoyance.

Unbelievable.

It was the Bow Street Runner who had sent him a message to plan a meeting, yet the man hadn't shown up on time. Just as he finished the thought, there was a loud tap on the window. James stood up, pushing it open and stepped back. Gilford, the Bow Street Runner James hired swung his legs in. Baldwin looked shocked at the man's appearance, but James was not amused. "The front door is always open."

The runner, a man with thin build but height that almost equaled James smiled. "Ah, but I prefer not to alert every street rat about my presence."

James shrugged his shoulder, "I couldn't care less."

"Careful Your Grace, the streets can be unforgiving here."

"Let them try me then."

Baldwin coughed lightly to bring them back to the topic. "Shall we start discussing why we are here gentlemen?"

Gilford poured his own drink and said in wry amusement, "Only one of us is a gentleman here tonight."

James stared at the man. For such a puny frame, he did open his mouth more often than it was required. The only reason why James hired the man was based on the recommendation of other peers in the realm who had rendered his services in the past. 

They all settled down in their respective seats. James didn't waste anymore time as he turned towards Gilford, "What have you learned?"

Gilford took a sip of his drink before placing it down on the table. "Quite a bit but not too much."

"Do not speak in riddles," James warned, glancing at his pocket watch impatiently.

Gilford followed his movement, "Somewhere else to be?"

"As a matter of fact, yes. I don't normally spend my time in London conversing in places such as this."

"No, I don't imagine you do," Gilford replied.

"Gilford, just spit out what you have learned and let His Grace leave," Baldwin cut in.

James glanced at the solicitor, almost in approval. He was surprised the man had opened his mouth. Baldwin seemed timid most of the time, but it seemed he might possess a backbone after all.