Chapter Forty-Three | Key

JAMES WALKED ALONG Bond Street fairly irritated. He had visited three shops earlier in the morning, only to watch the shopkeepers struggle to dislodge the emerald. They advised him to stop trying, lest the emerald be destroyed in the process. James ignored their advice. The only bit of satisfaction he gained in the hours wasted was his theory seemed to be correct. All the shopkeepers agreed that the emerald weighed heavier than normal, and the jingling sound was not present in any of their other jewelry. 

Entering the last jewelry shop on Bond Street, James sighed. This really was his last option for the day as he was required to be at parliament soon. If the shop was also unable to crack the pendant open, James vowed he would return it back to Vivienne. After all, it was her property. He was also certain that Vivienne would never let anyone borrow the pendant after he returned it to her.

A feeling of guilt trailed him all morning. He knew he should return the pendant to Vivienne right away, but his curiosity overtook those feelings. He highly doubted she herself knew that there may be something hidden beneath. Since she had wore it from a young age, the weight would seem perfectly normal to her, and she would have never given it a second through.

James glanced around the room, taken aback by the simplicity of the shop in comparison to the many others he'd visited. Although there were a few fancy trinkets on display, he did not believe this shop employed individuals who could help him with such a complex pendant. He spun around, ready to make his exit when a voice stopped him. 

"My lord, how may I help you?" A gentleman appeared from the back of the store, dressed in a forest greet waistcoat and tan trousers.

His white hair was combed back, with a few strands of black in the mix. James scrutinized the man's appearance. He fully intended to leave, but now that the man was standing in front of him, he might as well let him try.

James pulled out the pendant from his breast-pocket, letting it dangle between them. "I need someone to pry this open for me. There seems to be some sort of secret compartment inside."

The man gently held up the pendant to the light as he slipped on his spectacles. "Ah, this is quite unique, American craftsmanship if I am correct. My lord, if you do not mind me asking, do you remember the name of the shop in America? The work is quite exquisite if I do say so myself..."

His heart leapt, so it was a family heirloom. If it was crafted in America, the pendant must have belonged to the late countess and when she had passed, Vivienne's father had given it to his daughter. His guilt about keeping the pendant grew but he pushed down the feelings.

James swallowed and lied smoothly. "No, it has come into my possession quite recently. It is possible that the previous owner was American, but she has since passed."

The shopkeeper stopped his inspection to give James a small nod, "I'm sorry for your loss."

James did not bother telling the man that it was not his loss, and he pointed to the necklace, "What else can you tell me?"

"It seems perfectly normal from the front," the man frowned, "Yet from the back there does seem to be a slight ridge."

"Can you open it?" James asked. "I've visited a few shops this morning, but they all said it was impossible to do without damaging the emerald itself."

The man laughed, and James looked a bit taken aback. "I mean no offense my lord, but this is the establishment of Rundell and Bridge, proud jewellers to the crown. If we cannot open something, then I daresay nobody else in England will be able to do so."

James did not comment on the emptiness of the store belonging to the quite famed jewellers. "I presume you are either Rundell or Bridge?"

The man gave a small smile, one that did not lighten his harsh features. "Phillip Rundell at your service, and you, my lord?"