Chapter Forty-Two | Companionship

VIVIENNE STARED OUT onto the cobblestone path, utterly bored out of her mind. There was not much for her to do around the house, and whenever she stepped out of her room, it felt as though she was a nuisance to everyone else. Hence why Vivienne confided herself to her chamber. She had however, snuck out in the dark to explore the house. Her trip had allowed her to locate the library but to her disappointment, the earl's collection was not as large as the duke's. It was mostly filled with history books and other mind-numbing topics such as arithmetic, vastly different from the gothic novels found at Chalcott manor. 

She missed being out is society, talking, laughing, and dancing. Lady Westmoreland had attended a couple of balls since her arrival, but she had made it extremely clear to Vivienne that she was not invited. Vivienne had not said anything, but she also missed Fiona dearly. She had sent her friend a letter asking her to come visit her at her new home, but Fiona had yet to respond. It was highly likely Fiona was busy with preparing for her upcoming nuptials and she had missed the letter.

Vivienne eyes shifted to her correspondence before landing on the one from Chalcott manor. She had written to Mrs. Shrine asking her if the cat could be delivered to her new home. The housekeeper had apologized saying that nobody was making a visit to London soon. Vivienne missed Ginger fiercely, and she was unsure when the next time she would be able to see the cat. Maybe it was for the best that Ginger remained at Chalcott manor where she could be loved and free to room the many hills. In contrast to the bright décor, it was awfully cold in the earl's home.

"My lady?"

Vivienne turned to see Millie walking towards her with a grim face. "What is it?"

"The housekeeper at the duke's house replied to my letter. Unfortunately, they did not find the pendant."

The crushing feeling around Vivienne's heart grew. She had truly lost the only heirloom that connected her to her parents. It was devastating.

"I'm sorry Lady Vivienne."

Vivienne's chin wobbled as she held in the tears, "Thank you for asking. If you don't mind, I'd like to be alone for a while now."

Her lady's maid looked at her for a moment longer, seemingly wanting to say something, but she quickly left the room. There was a moment of silence in which tears streamed down Vivienne's face for her loss before there was another knock.

Clearing her throat, she spoke. "I'm fine Millie! I told you I just needed a damn moment!"

There was a pause before a voice said from outside, "Your ladyship, there is a caller waiting for you in the parlour."

Vivienne immediately felt quite terrible for yelling at the poor maid. She wiped her tears, avoiding her reflection in the looking glance. Standing up, she took in a breath the calm her nerves before opening the door. The maid stood still upon seeing Vivienne, as if she expected a scolding.

Vivienne's heart softened, "I apologize for raising my voice."

Her eyes widened, "My lady, there is no need to apologize to me."

But there was. Lashing out at others was not a healthy way to express her feelings. She should have never let the necklace out of her sight. By placing it in the wrong hands, it was lost forever.

Sighing, she made her way to the parlour. She was not uncertain of who was calling upon her. It could not be Captain Gronow, he left the country weeks ago. Her stomach clinched, could it be one of the gentlemen she had danced with several weeks ago? But they would not have her new address as she had not been anywhere in that time.