Chapter Thirty-Three | Chess

JAMES GLARED AT the chess board, unsettled by the news Gilford had delivered. The man James had spoken to at the Home Office, was dead. According to the official report, he had been mugged and beaten, left on the streets until someone had found him. They had summoned the physicians, but it had been too late. James did not believe for a second that the man's death had been innocent. It was clear that someone was on their trail, trying to prevent any information from leaking out. Gilford agreed with his assessment, but the Bow Street Runner apparently had a lead on the disappearance of Lady Selina and thus could not return.

James moved the pawn forward, this thumb twirling the captured knight. He knew they were being followed, now it was up to him to outsmart them a catch them at the opportune time. James was deep into his thoughts and when the door to the study opened, he did not hear it.

What he did hear, was the little "Oh," by Vivienne.

Looking up, he saw Vivienne dressed in a white nightgown, her golden hair falling into waves over her shoulders. He blinked once, surprised to see it down. Throughout the day, it was mostly coiled in some elaborate design upon her head.

"I didn't know you were in here," she said softly. "I was just going to grab a book to read before retiring for the evening."

He did not say anything as she went to the many shelves in the library and began browsing for books. James turned his gaze back to the chess board, but he could no longer concentrate. Occasionally, his gaze would turn back to Vivienne who was still searching for a book. Her golden haired disappeared ever so often behind the tall shelves, only to reappear seconds later.

Eventually, James heard the footsteps soften and come to a standstill. He felt her gaze upon his back.

"What are you doing?" she asked, still not coming closer.

James closed his eyes and sighed, "I was trying to play chess."

"Oh, I'm sorry to disturb you then. I'll take my leave."

James watched her retreating figure and before he could figure out why, he opened his mouth and uttered a single syllable, "stay."

She froze, the book clutched to her chest tightly and spun around. James shrugged his shoulders and pointed toward the chair in the corner, "There is enough space for the both of us."

Vivienne seemed hesitant before her shoulders relaxed and she nodded, walking towards the chair and settling in. James watched as she opened the book and began to read. He turned his gaze back to the chess board, planning his next move. His fingers brushed the bishop piece before he heard her voice so soft, he could barely make out the words.

"Why were you ignoring me?"

James rubbed his temples, it was true—he had been ignoring her ever since the evening at Almack's, but he did not want her to know the reason. So, he lied, "I've been busy, parliament takes up most of my time."

"But you go to White's."

James looked up at Vivienne sharply and her skin pinked a couple of shades underneath his glance. "Not that I am keeping track of your location or anything. But Lord Berkeley said that you were at White's last night and would probably be there this evening as well."

Cedric needed to keep his mouth shut about James' whereabouts. "I've had business there a couple of nights ago," he explained. He didn't even know why he felt the need to elaborate, and it wasn't as though James was lying. The first time in the season he had been at White's was to speak to Westmorland, and the second was to spread the news of Vivienne's dowry.