Chapter Thirteen | Menu

VIVIENNE SELF-CONSCIOUSLY drank the last sip of her tea. She was aware of the dowager countess' dark eyes on her—as they had been for the last few minutes. The lady didn't say anything, she merely observed, and Vivienne didn't know what to make of it. At the head of the table, the duke seemed unruffled as his gaze filtered rapidly through the morning newspaper.

"I think it's time to begin your lessons," Lady Torrington said suddenly, breaking the silence between them.

She watched as the duke momentarily paused whatever he was reading to exchange a silent look with his aunt. She didn't know what passed between them, but he suddenly shut the newspaper and stood up, "And I believe that is my cue to take exit now. I'll be in my study if you require anything."

The last few words were said in a way that made Vivienne feel that the duke would be sorely annoyed if anyone did bother him. She watched his disappearing figure before the dowager caught her attention with a little ahem.

"What lessons are you speaking about, my lady?"

Lady Torrington's face remained severe as she saw a muscle in her brow twitch in response. She didn't seem particularly pleased about the question. Suddenly, she stood up, her dark green gown falling elegantly to her sides, "follow me," she said.

The dowager countess didn't glance back once to see if Vivienne was following her. Even with her cane, she moved with utmost efficiency that had Vivienne struggling to keep up with her. She didn't make the foolish decision of asking her where they were going. A floor below, they reached the kitchens. The chef and the other maids were settled around a table seemingly eating some sort of porridge for their breakfast. They immediately stood when the two of them entered.

In a hurry, Mrs. Shrine edged towards them. "Lady Torrington, how may we assist you?"

Lady Torrington's gaze moved pass the housekeeper to land on the French cook. He was still eating his meal, unbothered by the dowager countess.

"Cook, if I could see the list of recipes?"

The cook looked up and his mouth formed into a thin line, "of course, my lady."

He got up from the table before bringing a dusty book and settled it onto the countertop. The rest of the servants edged away, and a pang of guilt crept into Vivienne as she wondered why exactly they were disturbing the servant's meals. Before she could say anything else, Lady Torrington beckoned her forward.

"Look through the book and select tonight's dinner menu."

Vivienne's eyes scanned through the book. The cook had meticulously written out description of various soups, meats, desserts, and everything in between. She felt overwhelmed with all the choices and tried selected items she thought might pair well together.

"Have you decided?"

Vivienne nodded and opened her mouth to explain her choices, but Lady Torrington raised a hand to stop her. "I don't want to know what it is. As a lady, once you are married you will be required to host dinners and the menu planning will fall on your hands. Tell the cook what you want and where you want it. Once you are done, join me in the parlour."

Vivienne watched as the dowager retreated. Vivienne turned to the cook and then reiterated her choices for the menu. His eyebrows rose at her suggestions, and it made her feel uncomfortable, but he didn't say anything else to indicate his feelings about her choices. She took that as a good sign and exited the kitchen.

She made her way to the sitting room and was surprised to see Lady Torrington seated on the bench in front of the pianoforte.

"I trust that you made your selections?" she asked just as Vivienne entered the parlour.