Chapter Five | Research

JAMES FROZE, NOT expecting the revelation. "That is impossible."

"Is it, Your Grace? I have been watching her the last few days. While she makes a terrible servant, the way she carries herself, makes it clear that she has aristocratic roots."

James snorted still not believing what Mrs. Shrine was saying, "And how does she carry herself?"

"Elegantly, with dignity and kindness even when being scolded."

"That," James drawled, "is not sufficient enough proof."

"No, it is not." His housekeeper agreed. "However, I've seen the way she eats, with proper decorum, it is vastly different from the other maids that are employed at Chalcott Manor. I have seen her gaze linger a tad bit longer over the books in the library as if she's reading the titles slowly. Although the item that is most puzzling is a pendant she keeps hidden underneath her dress; it is a bright green like the emeralds one might find on the neck of a fine Lady."

"She might have stolen it from a previous mistress, which would explain why she was fleeing when she arrived here."

Mrs. Shrine shook her head, "She reaches for it even when she is not aware. That reaction explains that it has been with her for a long time."

He did not know what Mrs. Shrine wanted from him. It seemed impossible for Vivienne to be an aristocrat. James could not remember the dress she'd sported when he found her in his manor but it would do little to help him—the mud and stains would have made it impossible to see the true value of the fabric. Another thought burst into James' mind—one that left him near breathless. It was possible that she could be the missing daughter of the previous Earl of Westmoreland.

Lady Selina.

"If you observe her for a couple of days, you will see how she's different."

The voice of his housekeeper brought him out of his thoughts. He had better things to do then spend his time watching over some chit but if there was even a slight chance that she was his betrothed—it would be worth it.

"Fine," he muttered.

Mrs. Shrine's eyes lit up and James held up his hand. "It still doesn't mean anything. If I do not believe your tale, she will be relieved of her duties effective immediately."

Mrs. Shrine's bobbed her head, "Thank you, Your Grace."

She exited the study, leaving James to ponder once more at the absurdity of the tale he'd been told.

***

Vivienne listened to see if there were any sounds from the cots beside her. She could faintly make out the sounds of Chrissy's light snore, and she covered her mouth with her hands to stop herself from bursting into laughter. Chrissy indignantly believed she did not make any sounds in her sleep and she'd gotten into quite the argument with another maid over it. Sensing the stillness from the other girls, Vivienne slowly moved off the cot.

There was a creak as she opened the door and Vivienne winced before spinning around to see if anyone had woken. It seemed liked all the girls were still asleep. Slowly, she pulled the door closed behind her and began walking through the dark manor. When she couldn't sleep the last few days, she'd taken to exploring the place at night. Here she couldn't trip over something nor could she upset the other servants—as it seemed like that was all she did during the day.

Vivienne was trying her best to learn, but unlike the rest of the servants who had been in service for years, it was her first time doing many of the tasks. She hoped that Mrs. Shrine wouldn't relieve her of her duties, but she'd seen the housekeeper glancing at her more than once. Maybe she was waiting for the duke to return to finally let her go.