Chapter 7

The ever present question, "Does death have a plan or design?" can be applied to reality, the point of it being a philosophical question is that you cannot know the answer at any given time. One can only assume the answer based on contextual evidence and personal life experiences. If someone is meant to die a certain way, such as in the films, but that death is prevented, then they will die in a different way. This evidence theorizes that death indeed has a plan or design, as in the film, there is an order to who dies first, etc. If this is disrupted, then the same victims will die in the same order, but in different, and unnatural ways. The design remains in place, despite the way the victims die. Overall, the way of death doesn't matter at all, but for the sake of cinema, the ways the victims die is more bizarre than the original way. if you can prevent your death from happening, but knew it was coming, although not when, would you really want to know? And if you prevented your death once, would you really believe that you could become "immortal"? Is being "immortal" within the films the same as not dying in a freak accident, the idea being that death is getting back at you for foiling it's plan the first time but instead dying peacefully, in a more realistic way such as old age? What is there about death that raises for us the question of whether we can transcend it? I believe it is the fact that death is seen as something that is bad. If we did not view death as a bad thing, the question of transcending it would not arise for us. It is because death is perceived by us as something bad that we feel a need to transcend it, to rise above it. If death were not a bad thing and we came to see that it is really not a bad thing, the problem of transcending death would simply go away. And one way in which philosophers have sought to dissolve the problem of transcending death is by trying to convince us that death is really not a bad thing, that it is not something that we have any need to transcend. But what if death really is a bad thing? What then can we possibly do about transcending it? If it really is a bad thing, transcending death would seem to be impossible. We can make efforts to prolong life. But this isn't transcending death; it is just postponing the moment of death. Death itself remains inevitable. We can perhaps engage in some kind of self-deception whereby we gloss over the fact that it is bad, or get ourselves to think of it as not bad, or get ourselves not to think of it at all. But this won't get rid of the badness of death; at best it will only decrease the occasions on which we are consciously aware of its badness. But Cierra is not aware of this. Death will continue to chase after her. No matter what.