Chapter One

Chapter One

(Ryan)

We've been struggling not to be found. Having to hide from everyone we once called a friend. No one can be trusted when they are all out to get us. Hunting us down and it's only a matter of time before they find us all.

The day Aiden went into labor and was rushed to the hospital is when everything went from bad to worse in a matter of hours. Knowing people that are like us and even people that know about us to keep a secret could only help so much. I wasn't there to see what went on once he arrived. I thought our secret was going to be fine when I got a call from someone at the hospital letting me know it was being taken care of but it only took one person to make sure it wouldn't stay hidden.

Within days then weeks things started to go down hill quickly. Suddenly word got out every where of something so unbelievable was possible. Not only did they want to learn how it was possible they made an announcement they want to find all of us. Seeing this as a reason to question life as we know it while they lock us up. They don't want to see the good out of this but instead be able to claim this as theirs and will go as far as locking up people that know and are withholding information.

I don't even know how we've managed to get this far without being discovered and taken to the place they've been holding some they forcibly placed in quarantine. I don't want to imagine what's going on in there when I'll probably be there soon. Forced into a room where I'll be stuck but how is that any different from now?

I'm stuck, we're all stuck in our homes. Pretending to blend in when that's hard to do with everyone questioning each other. One ounce of fear shown on your face as you walk down the street could make the wrong person think you're hiding something. And if you're hiding something they'll take you away never to be seen from again and that's what I'm scared of.

"It's been four months things are going to be okay." Lukas says trying to reassure himself more than me as he walks in the room with me.

"For now." I reply as I sit on the bed and feel the baby kick. "Some days it's hard to believe something so small that should be a blessing regardless how it was created is what's ruining our lives. Ending the happiness we had because it's too different for people to understand and leave alone. I guess this is why my mom and the others before wanted this to never get out. Fear of something like this happening and they were right to want it to stay a secret because everything we all feared is coming true. They're taking us away once they get their hands on us. Sticking needles into us as they run their tests. We're better off dead than to live a life like that."

"Ryan.."

"It's true Lukas. This is why I moved away and didn't want to start a family. I knew once my mom died everything was going to fall on me and having a family was going to get in the way. I should have done more to prevent all of this. If I would have then maybe we wouldn't be here now because it only took was one person to find out and expose us. I never wanted to live in fear every day I wake up thinking today might be the day they find us. Staying hidden inside while we wait for something bad to happen." I say harshly, regretting what I said as I see the look on his face.

"Well, I'm sorry I messed everything up for you then!" he yells looking hurt.

"I didn't mean it like that. I don't regret us and I'm sorry I said that. I just, I wish things were different. I wish I could go back to change something so we wouldn't be where we are right now." I reply.

"We can't go back Ryan. We can only live every day to the fullest and hope they won't find us. And hopefully it won't be as bad as you think. I didn't believe it at first until you showed me. Explained how it is possible maybe that's what needs to happen. Show everyone how it's possible and shouldn't be treated so horribly." he says.

"You know as well as I do that's not going to happen.. They want to find us all and lock us up. They aren't interested in being told how or why. They want to see for themselves even if that means treating us as if they can do whatever they like to us. It's never going to be okay, ever."