Chapter Eight: Making the Right Choice

(Razor)

How could he be so naive and dumb to say something like that out loud? To even slightly think it's okay to come to my home after all these years and blurt out something I've hidden. Something I wasn't sure I was going to tell Charlotte to begin with.

"Daddy?" I hear her ask again walking to me with her teddy bear in her arms. A teddy bear Lukas gave me years ago. The only belonging she has that has anything to do with him. And at this very second I wish I never gave it to her or ever opened the door.

"Just leave Lukas." I say trying to stay calm as I hold Aiden.

I can see in Lukas's eyes he feels bad for everything he has caused and he should. How am I ever going to explain this to Charlotte? She's only five and grew up thinking Travis and I were her parents. I never once mentioned Lukas because I never imagined he would show up in our life's.

"Raz-"

"Just go," Travis says pointing Lukas to the door.

Without another word he hurries out of the house leaving me alone again. Only this time it's not just me he's hurting in the process.

"Here let me take him." Travis says as he walks over grabbing Aiden out of my arms. "You should tell her." he says in a quiet voice before walking to bedroom to put Aiden back in his crib.

I always had a feeling I would have to tell her the truth one day. And I guess today is the day. I just hope she doesn't grow up to hate me for not telling her until now.

"Daddy who was that man that came here?" Charlotte says looking into my eyes for an answer.

"Umm that was an old friend." I answer not really answering.

"Is he my dad too?" she asks looking more confused.

"Yes." I reply unable to lie to her.

What is a parent suppose to do in this type of situation? Lie? Tell the truth? Will she even understand or will she be mad that I hid the truth from her? I basically lied to her since she was born and now Lukas confused her. But then again maybe I'm to blame too for never telling her and having her find out like this.

"But how?" she says.

"Why don't you come and sit on the couch with me and I'll explain everything?" I say reaching for her hand and walking to the couch with her. I sit her in my lap wondering if she will even come close to understand something so complicated.

"Sweetie, Travis isn't your other dad. He has raised you like you were his own since you were born and thinks of you as his daughter. But Charlotte your real other dad is the man you just saw." I explain.

"So you lied daddy?" she replies.

"I didn't lie Charlotte I was trying to do what was best for you. Your other real dad wasn't ready to be a dad. Remember what I told you about kissing?"

She nods her head yes before she replies, "That's how babies are made. You said I'm not suppose to let anyone kiss me until I'm older and I love them."

"Yeah that's right and your real dad didn't know our secret. He kissed me when he shouldn't have and I got pregnant with you." I reply.

"Did you love him?" she questions with curious eyes longing to know.

"No, Charlotte I didn't but I don't ever regret it. I got you and I couldn't ask for anything more. And I tell you you shouldn't because I was young when I had you. When you're young you think you might like someone but that doesn't mean it's love. You'll know when you truly love someone. Your real dad and I didn't have that. We were only good friends." I say.

"Can I still call dad, dad?" she asks.

"Of course you can and if you don't want to see your other real dad you don't have to. I only want what's best for you Charlotte that's what I have always wanted. I just want you to be happy and never let anyone hurt you." I reply.

"Okay," is all she says probably trying to process everything in her five year old head. This isn't exactly what I wanted for her but in the end I feel a little better not having to hide the truth from her. She should know Lukas now that he finally believes the impossible.

***

Five Months Later...

(Lukas)

I look down at the baby I'm holding in my arms, Nathan. A baby weighing six pounds with my hazel eyes looking back at me. The baby I doubted in the beginning but looking at him now I don't see how I could have ever doubted him.

I made a mistake in the past not believing Razor but I'm not going to do the same again. I want to be apart of Nathan's life and Charlotte's too. It will take time but hopefully I can be a good dad to both of them. And who knows maybe Razor and I can repair our friendship. I know I treated him bad and I was furious at Travis but that's in the past. I have the rest of my life to make it up to them. And for Ryan and I, I think we'll be getting a happily ever after just like I've always wanted. I guess everything does happen for a reason.