Chapter Ten: Where Do We Go From Here?

(Ryan)

"What are we going to do?" someone asks.

"What's going to happen?" the next asks.

"What's going to happen to us all?"  another questions and they don't stop.

The questions filling the house coming from everyone in the living room causing the rest to become hysterical. Everyone frighten at the realization that our secret we have kept hidden for years has finally gotten discovered. Something my mom, her mom and everyone else before have tried to prevent. But now it's too late to do anything.

"We're going to be okay right Ryan?" a woman asks holding her husbands hand.

"For me to say everything is going to be okay would be a lie. To say we can keep living like we are and to not fear would only be something you want to hear. The truth is no it's not going to be, nothing is ever going to be the same. Nothing I can say can change what has already happened.

The only thing we can hope is if we stay hidden, pretending to blend in maybe we will be okay, maybe we can continue to live and not end up like some guinea pig. We all knew from so many generations before it would be discovered sooner or later. We were fooling ourselves to think it could stay a secret forever. Nothing ever does in a world where doctors and scientist carve new projects and extraordinary gifts that aren't explained in a textbook. I'm sorry." I say looking over at Lukas whose face is consumed with fear which isn't helping my own.

Especially when it was two months ago today I found out I was pregnant. I was even going to tell Lukas today until I got the call that had me deciding to keep it a secret. This pregnancy wasn't something we had planned, it just happened like Nathan did. But unlike when I had Nathan something that should be a blessing isn't anymore. It has sadly turned into a curse.

***

One week later...

(Aiden)

I lay in the hospital bed not able to leave if I wanted to when I'm restrained to the bed. Doctors have been coming in and out for the passed week. Taking blood, examining me from the inside out. Curious to know how it was possible for me to get pregnant in the first place and have two babies naturally.

Two babies a boy and girl I didn't even get to see. I know they're alive because I heard them cry but only for a few seconds before they were rushed out. "They're too small, they were born too early. I have to make sure they're okay." is what the doctor said.

I know they were born early so it made sense why they would have to be taken and watched over for the time being. I was okay with that because I knew from the way the doctor looked at me she knew. She knew this had to stay a secret just like the guy in the abumlance did. He was the one that told to stay quiet and not say a word. He told me he knew a doctor that would do the same and try to get me out without question but that was just hopeful thinking.

By the time the babies were born and rushed out and we thought we were in the clear another doctor walked in. Looking at me with suspicion and informed others before there was time to get me out undetected. That was about the same time my dad came inside and they looked at him like he could be another potiential guinea pig to whatever they have planned.

The sound of the door opening causing me to become scared, wondering what they have planned for today. More blood? More Tests? What next? "Aiden, how are you today?" the sound of the familiar doctor's voice. Evil, full of malic and nothing nice.

"Please just let me go?" I beg turning my head to look at her.

"Now why should I?" she asks stopping at the bed I lay in.

"Because it's the right thing to do. Please?" I say attempting to get through to her.

"Oh Aiden you know I can't do that. I wouldn't want to when I discovered something no other doctor has. You're my new project but don't worry we have your dad here. Both actually. See I'm not that mean now am I?" she says before laughing.

"No, you're more than mean, you're a bitch!" I yell seeing her become angry very quickly.

"I would be more nice if I were you. I do know where your daughter and son are." she threatens.

"Don't hurt them! They didn't do anything!"

"No, but their father did. Now I'm curious how this works. If you're the one that carried them who is the father that impregnanted you?" she replies with curious eyes but even as I lay here defenseless to whatever she wants to do I'm not going to give her a name.

"I'm never going to tell you." I say not willing to say Kaleb's name because I loved him. I still love him even if he doesn't love me and broke up with me which is why I'm not going to say. Besides Kaleb had no idea, he didn't know anything.

"Fine I'll find out by myself sooner or later because I'm going to find all of the people like you. There isn't going to be any place to hide once we start mandatory exams door to door." she replies.

"You can't do that." I say.

"Oh yes we can. People want to know, have the right to know and that's what we're doing come Monday. It is only right since we don't know what we're dealing with and curious minds want the facts. And thanks to you now I know what I once questioned when I was younger is actually true." she says an evil smile forming across her face as she gets another needle and vial to take some more blood.

And the happily ever after I thought I might be able to have I know is never going to happen. Happily ever after to all of us isn't going to exist when there is someone like her around. All she sees is a new project she can claim as her own and not a gift that shouldn't be treated this way.