Chapter Six: He Should Have Listened

Three weeks later...

(Razor)

I walk through the front door after dropping Aiden off at school not able to stop worrying that something is going on with him. I always worry about him and Charlotte because their my kids and I have since the day they were born. Plus I carried them for nine months so it only makes sense I worry more than Traivs does. The only thing is it's different with Aiden, I worry more probably because he reminds me so much like me when I was his age. It scares me actually. So naive and stubborn sometimes when it comes to certain things he shouldn't be. I want him to be happy more than anything but that's hard when I don't know what's bothering him when he never talks to me.

When he was younger he always talked to me about what he was scared of or worried about but that all changed once he entered sixth grade. Suddenly he didn't want me in his life as much, almost ashamed to be around me because he hated when people found out he has two dads instead of one. I thought I did a good job though trying to explain it doesn't matter what people think or say and it shouldn't bring him down. But obviously that didn't seem to work for him like it did for Charlotte.

Aiden takes everything people say to heart when he shouldn't. Then again I never had to deal with kids bullying me because of my parents being gay so I have no idea what it's like. I grew up like the rest of the kids with one dad and one mom. Of course I also grew up hearing stories about if I get kissed by a boy I'll end up pregnant. Something I thought was a lie until I found out it was true. I never got bullied for it though because no one found out. But I also stopped going to school and started homeschool to avoid any of that. Anyone that asked I told them I slept with a girl that happened to get pregnant and gave up custody to me. The paperwork was easy to forge when this has been done before with Ryan's mom knowing someone in that job dealing with such paperwork.

As for Aiden we just told people that questioned that we adopted him even though he's mine and Travis'. I'm not ashamed of what people would think, I'm not ashamed of anything. I'm only preventing something bad that could happen if the wrong people were to find out. Scared like the rest of us which is why we've been doing a good job keeping it a secret for as long as we have. Dealing with what lie to tell to whoever asked so I didn't even notice that Aiden was getting bullied at his last school.

I still can't believe I didn't notice what was going on. I mean I should have I'm his parent, the one that birthed him but I didn't know. I thought he was fine when he was really wearing a fake smile. So when I did find out what was really bothering him I swore to myself I would pay better attention and not let it happen again. I thought sending him to this new school hours away would be for the best but maybe it was a mistake.

"I'm worried about him Travis. He seems down lately, shutting himself off in his room more than he used to. I know you grounded him but he wasn't acting like this before." I say taking a seat in the living room on the couch next to him on his day off.

"Do you want me to talk to him afterschool? See what's going on" he asks but I shake my head no.

"No, I don't think that's a good idea. It would probably only make things worse when he's already upset." I reply.

"Razor, I know how to talk to our son." he says and I can't help but roll my eyes. "I know, I know I might have overreacted last time but we're his parents. We can't just let him walk over us and allow him to talk to you or I like that. Sometimes I think you let him get away with too much." he mumbles the last part that I barely hear him.

"No I don't. I just, I don't want to make him hate us." I reply back.

"He doesn't hate you Razor I'm positive about that. He's more mad at me than you because I'm always the one punishing him." he responds.