Chapter Four: One Simple Question

One week later...

"So dad said you're doing good in school?" Charlotte says more like a statement than an actual question.

I spin around on my computer chair away from what I was doing to look at her. "Yeah, I kind of have to when their paying for it."

"Smartass." she replies.

"Hey I learned from the best." I reply making her laugh.

"So anything new going on at school?" she questions prying into my life like our parents do.

"What is this an interragation?" I ask avoiding the question.

"No, I was just wondering." she asks.

"Let me guess dad put you up to this?" I question looking passed her and out into the hallway wondering if he's near by listening. I wouldn't put it passed him since he always wants to know what's going on in my life. Or more like find out no matter what even if it means putting Charlotte up to it. It's pretty annoying actually.

"Up to what Aiden? Can't a big sister see what's going on in her brother's life?" she asks playing innocent.

"Yeah well sorry to disappoint you but there's nothing new going on." I say not willing to tell her anything.

"No new crushes or anything?" she asks.

"No, Charlotte I don't have any crushes or anything." I say lying through my teeth.

"Ohh come on Aiden you used to talk to me about your crushes all the time. Remember?" she says walking over to the computer desk where I'm sitting.

"Yeah until I was thriteen and where did that get me?" I retort.

"Like I told you before I never told dad anything. But if you don't want to tell me then I'll just tell dad about the dirty message someone named Kaleb just sent."

"What are you talking about?" I ask before turning around and noticing my phone sitting on the desk has a next text message from Kaleb.  "He's just a friend Charlotte."

"Oh I see is that why my brother was blushing right now?"

"Shut up." I mumble.

"Charlotte, Aiden dinner is ready!" our dad shouts and I hurry and get up taking my phone with me so she doesn't have a chance to look through it. And wanting so badly to get tonight's dinner over quick. If Charlotte can already tell that I like another guy than I sure hope my dads can't tell. Otherwise I'm screwed especially if they find out about what I did last week with Kaleb.

I take a seat at the table in the dining room sitting more quietly than I usually do as my dads take there seats along with Charlotte who I hope keeps her mouth shut. Why do we have to have family dinners altogether once a month with her here? Better yet why do I have to have an older sister that has to stick her nose in my life?

All I want is to have a normal life where I can have a boyfriend, make out with him without being told I shouldn't and have sex without my parents freaking out if they were to find out. Not having to hear about how bad kissing is and being told I'll only end up pregnant. Is that asking too much?

"Aiden, are you okay?" my dad asks looking at me like he wants to read my mind or maybe he already has.

"What? Yeah why wouldn't I be?" I answer looking up at him.

"Because you ignored my question." he says.

"I didn't know you asked one." I respond.

"Is something going on at school?" he asks which doesn't seem like was his orginal question.

"No, why would you think that?" I quickly answer.

"You're hiding something Aiden."

"No, Im not. Why does everyone have to assume I am?! First Charlotte asks if I have a crush and now you? What is this put Aiden on the spot day?" I say grabbing the fork beside my plate.

"Your dad never asked you that Aiden. So do you have something to share?" my DAD asks.

Shit! I'm screwed. Why do I have to be so stupid sometimes? "Do you?" he persists not willing to let this go.

"No," I answer looking down at my plate of pasta, with the fork in hand twirling the noodles around.

"Aiden Zachery Prescott?"

"What? You don't approve of me liking another boy? It's only okay for you and dad to? You're both fucking hypocites!" I yell in anger not holding anything back when I probably should.

"Aiden!" my DAD yells back practically getting up from his chair but my dad holds him back.

"Hey it's the truth! Maybe dad got pregnant with Charlotte from some stupid kiss but that doesn't mean I will. I'm not as dumb as him so can I be excused now?"

"Give me your phone you're grounded." he shouts.

"What? Why?!" I scream.

"You know why Aiden. I'm not going to let you talk to your dad and I like that. Give it and that computer of yours is going to be for school only. You won't even be allowed to hang out with your friends. School and back that's it now give me the phone." his voice enraged.

"Fine, take it I don't care!" I say getting it out of my pocket and slamming it hard on the table. Before he has time to yell at me I hurry out of there only able to hear my dad ask, "Travis, don't you think you're being too harsh?"

I don't hear the answer because I reach my room shutting the door behind me loudly. Surely pissing off my DAD but right now I don't care. Why do they have to treat me like some little kid? Why can't they trust me? Let me experience life without worrying so much?

It's all because of this stupid curse they call a gift. Most of it I don't even believe since they probably made it up to control me, scare me into believing a kiss will get me pregnant just so they can make my life even more miserable. After all how do I really know it's true, any of it about a guy getting pregnant when I never witnessed it?