Chapter Nine: A Simple Mistake

(Kaleb)

"So party at my house tonight to celebrate?" Corey announces. "Tons of beer and chicks."

"Hell yeah I'm there!" Todd replies and before I have a chance to say anything I hear Jake.

"Hey! Mom said to meet her outside." he says coming up behind me as I walk down the hallway with Corey and Todd. The last day of high school finally here and that isn't something I wanted to hear. What eighteen year old wants to know their mom that hasn't picked him up from school since middle school decided to today?

"Why? She never picks us up." I say surprised when I already had plans and they didn't involve my mom.

"Aw how sweet. So Kaleb is your mom going to give us all a ride home?" Corey jokes.

"Shut up." I mumble.

"Something came up, something important." is all Jake says and I have a guess what it has to do with but I don't see how that's important.

"Fine, so I'll see you guys tonight?" I say.

"Yeah I'll text you when or just come over." Corey says and I take off walking out of the school with Jake.

Heading to our mom whose sitting in the car looking completely lost and scared. I get in the passenger seat not to avoid sitting in the back with Jake. "So is there a reason for picking us up today or what?" I ask finally getting her attention and bringing her back to reality from where ever she was before.

"It isn't good for you to be out today. Something has happened and it risks exposing us all." she says making no sense at all.

"What are you talking about?" I reply.

"Kaleb, you know what I'm talking about. A boy named Aiden.."

"Aiden?" Jake and I say at the same time.

"Yes, from your school did you know him?" she asks and I start to wonder why Aiden has to do with any of this.

"Mom, I made a mistake." Jake says from the back seat.

"What kind of mistake Jake?" our mom asks before I can.

"I didn't know, it's all my fault." he says becoming upset.

"What's all your fault?! What did you do?!" I yell wanting to know already.

"I told the nurse something was wrong with him and they called the ambulance. I didn't know, I swear I didn't know he was one of us." he chokes out while my mom looks at him in shock.

I'm shocked too because if he got caught that means he was pregnant. I didn't know Aiden was hiding the same secret as me, that he was like me. I thought I was the only one around here along with my family. I never considered he was too and I didn't know I got him pregnant. He never mentioned anything to me after I broke it off but that's probably because he thought I wouldn't understand and his parents didn't want him to risk telling.

Why did I have to be so mean and push him away? Why couldn't I just tell him I loved him because I did, I do. Why did I have to care what people thought? Because now I'm probably going to lose him and the baby he was carrying. And he'll never know how I really felt.

"What's going to happen to him?" I ask.

"I don't know Kaleb. Why? Was he your friend?" she replies.

"Mom, I'm the one that got him pregnant."