06| serve me

♚♔♚♔♚

♚♔♚♔♚

Light blue eyes stared straight at me making goosebumps appear on my arms and sending cold chills down my spine. I grip the my pen and notepad tightly afraid that it would slip through my sweating hands. No one said a single word. Not a single peep could be heard in the cafe. Not even the clanking of spoons and knifes could be heard.

Darius walked in the cafe and stood in front of the closed door. His gaze left me as he walked up to the counter in a slow yet dominate pace. Ava turned beet red while looking at Darius as he walked closer to her.

Mrs. Pot came out of the back door and quickly went to Darius. "Mr. McKnight, it is a pleasure to see you here. Is there any service we can offer you?"

Darius whispers a few words to her that I was unable to catch due to his low voice. Mrs. Pot nods and leads Darius to a vacant table and settles him there before going back to the kitchen. By now the silence dispersed and the customers began to murmur while staring at Darius in wonder.

I quickly finish taking the order of my table before hurrying to the kitchen with Ava and Beth hot on my tail. I close the door after my friends. We all looked towards Mrs. Pot waiting for clarifications. She stood still for a whole minute without saying a single word making us glance at one another.

What had Darius told her that made her so silent?

Finally, Mrs. Pot let out a sigh and put her right hand on her head in distress. "He wants to review our cafe by trying some of our top dishes but I don't know why he wants to review our cafe since we're not the top in the area. His rating could either make or break us as a business. I just don't know what's gonna happen. We can serve our Spicy Grilled Cheese with Sweet Cinnabon for desert as they are our best sellers but-" Mrs. Pot sat in the nearby seat looking as if she were about to break down any second. She placed her interlaced hands on her lap letting her head fall.

"What if he does not enjoy the food? What if his terrible ratings chase my customers away. What if I have to close down the shop?" A weak strangled cry could be heard from my boss as she tried to control her tears. I felt sympathy towards her as she was not just my boss but a kind hearted woman as well. She took over this cafe many years ago after her mother, who previously owned the cafe, had passed away due to lung cancer. This cafe wasn't just some measly job for her. No, this job meant so much more that what anyone could understand. Mrs. Pot took over this cafe as it was the only thing that reminding her of her late mother.

I walk over to my boss and crouch down next to her and place my hands on top of hers. I squeeze her hands lightly providing her support. She knows of my mother and the distance relationship with my father. It was her constant support and love that helped me open up to others and make friends. I will forever be grateful to her.