thirty nine.

Hyunjin's p.o.v.

     "There it is. That's our way in."

     The vague shape of a thick metal door had emerged from the murky shadows of the tunnel, tempting anyone who saw it to try and enter.

     Hyunjin warily approached it, his last sentence ringing in his ears. That door led to a life that he had left far behind, had tried to bury forever. And now it was trying to rope him back into its sick little web, suck him in so that he couldn't escape this time.

     But he shook off the incredibly uneasy feeling that seeped through him and steeled his nerves, nudging Minho forward and gesturing for him to pick the lock again.

     Smoothly, the older boy slid the tools into the door handle, manipulating the cylinder until it gave a light click, the handle now ready to be turned. Hyunjin expected him to grab and open the door, but Minho stepped back, eyes glinting in the dull light as he waited.

     So Hyunjin took a slow, deep breath, edging toward the door as he built up his courage. As his fingers curled around the handle, he eased into the emotionless state he reserved specifically for intense situations and peered over his shoulder, eyes hooded as he spoke.

     "Tell the others to begin."

     And he opened the door, allowing a gust of cool air to blow over him. Hyunjin shivered, shining his light carefully into the frame.

     Other than Taeyong's low, authoritative commands, spoken quietly into his phone, the group was silent as they took in what was hidden behind the door. A circular room, lined with eight doors, met their eyes. The walls and floor were made of the same concrete as the tunnel. A narrow passage was placed where the last door should have been, leading to what could only be Sicarius's base.

     Hyunjin carefully stepped into the room, breaths light as he motioned for the others to follow. They all kept their weapons at hand, ready to spring into action if necessary.

     Creeping along the floor, he edged toward the hallway, shining his flashlight into it. The hallway floor sloped up slightly, the aged concrete cracking due to being neglected. Members at his back, Hyunjin jogged forward silently, thighs burning a bit as he covered ground. His run didn't last long, though.

     After only a few minutes, another door, wooden and unlocked this time, came before them, now the only thing between them and enemy territory. Without hesitation, Hyunjin raised his pistol and swung the door open gracefully, sweeping the revealed room with sharp eyes.

     But it was empty, a cramped space with dusty filing cabinets and rotting desks greeting him instead. Chenle crinkled his nose at the musty smell wafting over him. "What is this place?"

     Hyunjin swallowed, mustering his voice. "This is where they used to plan and coordinate attacks, before they became successful. Most rooms on the bottom floor aren't in use anymore."

     "That's good," Mark muttered, running a finger along one stained wall, then grimacing in disgust as it left a residue on his skin.

     A blaring alarm suddenly went off, causing Chenle to clap his hands over his ears. The others just flinched, wincing as the high pitched whine stung their ears. It cut off quickly before another sound came, a voice stating that all personnel were needed at their stations.

     Sicarius was officially under attack.

     "We need to move," Chan said, glancing around the room to look for the door.

     It happened to be blocked by a stack of damp boxes, filled with forgotten documents and papers. Hyunjin quickly began to heft and move them out of the way, Taeyong jumping to assist him. They finished easily, and Hyunjin cracked the door open, squinting into the dark space outside before slipping out, taking the lead as the group crept through the bottom floor.