thirty seven.

Hyunjin's p.o.v.

     The city was quiet as their small group navigated the near-empty streets. There was no small talk; they just followed Hyunjin through the city as some late-night stragglers gaped at their impressive physiques, thick jackets barely concealing the large amount of weaponry stashed on their persons.

     Hyunjin puffed air into his fists and rubbed his hands together, trying to warm himself in the unusually cold air. The other boy from NCT, Mark, walked next to him, the pair heading up the pack.

     "So why'd you want to come?" Hyunjin asked as he slowed his pace a bit, squinting as he looked into the shadows of a rarely used street before taking that path. Following his gaze, Mark chewed on the inside of his cheek, staying close to the younger boy.

     "I'm second in command of NCT," he said, glancing over his shoulder to make sure that the others weren't far behind. "Taeyong... he doesn't show it, but ever since his sister came back, he's been even more protective over her. He calls Chan every day to check up on her, messages her constantly, and asks Chenle and Jisung to watch out for her at school. If something happens tonight that he can't get out of, he will sacrifice himself for her. I want to make sure that he won't have to. Everyone is coming home alive tonight."

     The lengthy explanation was the most Hyunjin had ever heard Mark say, although granted, he had only met him a few times. But still, the man seemed like he wasn't one to open up quickly, and Hyunjin could tell from his words just how much he cared about his leader. It reminded him exactly of how he felt about Chan.

     Mark grinned at Hyunjin, nudging him with his shoulder in an almost playful manner. "That includes you, too. You need to make it out for your family."

     The thing was that he knew, Hyunjin knew that he had to stay alive, he had to ensure that his members got out safely. But damn him if he wasn't going to make sure that if anyone got hurt, it would be him.

     "I know, I will," he replied in a low voice, stepping ahead of Mark to peer into some vegetation that was growing out over a brick wall near them. Hyunjin flicked out a knife and tore through the thick vines, revealing the edge of a grated door, handle encompassed in rust.

     "This is one of the closest entrances," he grunted as he revealed the outline of the door. As he stepped back, Hyunjin scrutinized the several thick chains that were placed through the holes in the grating, held fast by large locks.

     "Can anyone - "

     "Say no more."

     Minho cracked his fingers and pulled out a few thin, metal tools out of his pockets, deftly handling and sliding them into each lock, twisting this way and that until they opened one by one, falling to the ground with loud clangs.

     "When did you... never mind, I don't want to know," Chan muttered, blinking quickly as Hyunjin unlooped the chains, throwing them off to his side on the pavement.

     "Alright," he breathed, reaching for the handle. "Here we go."

     With a high pitched whine, the handle gave way, and the grated door creaked open, revealing a yawning tunnel behind it.

     "How is this just out in the open?" Chenle asked, peering into the darkness from behind Hyunjin.

     "Everyone around here knows not to mess with certain people, go certain places. Examples have been made before, and no one wants to be next," Hyunjin answered grimly, unhooking a flashlight from his belt and snapping it on, shining the bright beam into the tunnel.

     Empty hand resting on his knee as he squinted into the tunnel, Hyunjin glanced back at the others, eyebrows raised in anticipation. "Ready?"

     A unanimous hum rose from behind him, so Hyunjin stepped into the darkness, strides steady as he began the both physical and mental journey back to his old home.

°  °  °

Nari's p.o.v.

     It definitely wasn't real anymore. Why else would she be seeing her eldest member in front of her? Ha, she was totally out of it still.

     That's what Nari would have believed if her supposed hallucination and captor weren't conversing with each other. Unless they were both hallucinations, which she highly doubted.

     Woojin stood rigid, not wanting to step any closer to the other girl. His hands were fisted, face tight as he looked at Nari. Eyes skimming over her wounds, his mouth slowly opened, disbelief painted across his expression.

     He wheeled around to face Hana, anger seeping into his voice as he pointed a finger at Nari.

     "You said that you wouldn't hurt them."

     Hana appeared very bored, apparently having expected a bigger reaction from the both of them. "Yeah, well, plans change when someone fucks up," she replied, jabbing her chin in his direction.

     Woojin clenched his jaw, knuckles turning white as he looked back down at Nari. Liquid began to pool in his eyes as he took in her body, so carelessly looked after.

     "Nari... "

     She stopped him with a whimpered "no", biting on her lip to keep it from trembling and drawing blood, the metallic taste steadying her.

     "W-woojin, why... why would you... "

     Nari had to pause on those words, knowing that if she continued then she would break, her heart shattering like fragile china.

     "No, no, you have to understand," Woojin said suddenly, dropping to his knees to gently touch her bound hand, stroking his thumb on her barely clothed wrist. "I never would have done this if - "

     His head flew forward, crashing together with Nari's as they both gasped in surprise and pain. Woojin rushed to stand up, gazing at Hana in disbelief as she lowered her hand.

     "You aren't allowed to speak of anything we deal with here," she snapped, her tone dead serious. "You keep your mouth shut. Understood?"

     A lone tear shot like a star down his cheek, and Woojin fought to keep his face blank in front of the dangerous girl. His eyes rested on Nari's tired form, and she gazed back, pleading with her eyes for him to do something, to save her and Jeongin. At least Jeongin.

     And it looked like he wanted to, it really did. She could tell that he hesitated, that he weighed his options in his head. For a moment, she was sure that he was going to help her.

     But something in his eyes flickered, and the light there died, a candle blown out and nothing but emptiness left. He had made up his mind.

     "Understood."

sorry that this chapter is a little shorter than usual! i wanted to give it to you guys as soon as possible haha♡♡