twenty four.

Sora blanched, her face turning pale as she realized how serious Nari was, how unafraid she seemed compared to their past encounters. She took a shaky step back, bumping into her friends' chests.

     "What?"

     Nari began to stretch her arms, taking her time leisurely. "You heard me. And you can pick. Inside or outside?"

     The bully's mouth opened and closed, but no words came. The meek girl she was used to was long gone, and in her place stood a pissed off challenger.

     Cracking her knuckles, Nari watched her abuser, drinking in her fear like it was nectar. Oh, how she loved the way Sora was squirming, trying to find a way out of the tense situation.

     The exhilaration of being the one in power, the one who made someone else afraid drove her forward. Nari raised a hand to push the girl out of her way just as a hand grabbed her shoulder.

     Scowling, Nari shoved the hand off, twisting her neck around. "What the - "

     Hyunjin's disapproving frown met her gaze, and as her eyes trailed up to his own, the atmosphere relaxed. Nari turned to face him, forgetting about Sora for the moment.

     "Hyunjin, why - "

     "Because to you're better than that," he said sharply, holding her gaze. "It's never better to hurt those who have hurt you. It just makes you exactly like them. No matter how good it may feel in the moment, you'll..."

     A sigh escaped him, and he finally looked away, something mysterious flickering in his eyes. "You'll always regret it. Always," he whispered, pressing his lips together.

     Hyunjin poked his cheek with his tongue, jerking his head at Sora. "Go."

     The girl obediently ran from the group with her friends as fast as she could. The moment was ironic, bully running from the bullied. Either way, it gave Nari satisfaction to know that Sora knew she wouldn't stray from confrontation now.

     After Sora was out of sight, Nari held a hand to her forehead and breathed deeply, trying to stave off the light headedness that had resulted from her newfound courage. To distract herself, Nari pursed her lips and cocked her head.

     "Why else did you stop me?" she asked Hyunjin. He coughed, running a hand over his neck.

     "Chan would've killed us if we let you get into a fight on our first day back here, for one," he admitted, smiling in defeat. "And second, there's someone who wants to see you, and you would've been too busy to if you had been punching someone's lights out."

     Who on earth would want to see her? She already knew everyone at school, and Jisoo had been her only friend. Unless... there had been another transfer Nari hadn't known about...

     "Wha- who?"

     "Nari!"

     An excited male voice cut through the early morning chatter. Out of the crowd, a bright blonde head emerged, hair bouncing as the owner ran.

     Nari's eyes widened as the person sprinted towards her in a blur of enthusiasm. She braced herself at the last second and lost her breath as the runner slammed into her, their arms squeezing her sides.

     Nari looked down at the face peering up at her from the hug. Smiling eyes greeted her along with a Cheshire cat grin.

     "Hellooo," Chenle sang, swaying as he hugged his friend. Jisung's face came into view, his expression shy as the group acknowledged his presence.