five.

Jisoo's house was only a ten minute walk from her own, but after two minutes into the trip, Nari was considering sleeping on the sidewalk that night.

     The pain in her ankle was much greater than she had anticipated, and Nari found herself slowing her pace with each step, her breaths becoming uneven.

     "Ok, ok. Just a little rest," she said to herself, easing down onto the pavement beside the empty street. She noticed the sun was almost completely gone, but she ignored the increasing darkness. Bracing herself, Nari sighed and pulled her ankle up to inspect it again. She sucked in a gulp of air.

     The long scrape was inflamed and hot, blood oozing out now, and the swelling had caused it to be twice its normal size. Despair overcame Nari as she gently turned it in the light of the street lamp. Mentally slapping herself for being so careless, she opened her bag to look for a wrapping.

     As she did, a movement from the corner of her eye caught her attention. Nari darted her head up, scanning the area. It was fully dark now, making it almost impossible to see anything outside of the lamp's circle of light, and fear began to prick Nari's heart. As she watched, a figure in black slowly made its way in her direction.

     Panic bubbled up in Nari's throat as she stood, wincing at the weight put on her injured ankle. Trying not to seem conspicuous, she picked up her bag and started to limp away.

     But Nari could hear footsteps behind her now, quickening their speed.

     Following her.

     Tears of sheer terror at the thought of being stalked stung Nari's eyes and she broke into a run, dropping the dead weight her bag caused, pain ripping through her leg.

     A loud curse came from behind her, and Nari could hear her pursuer start to sprint after her.

     Tears were spilling down her cheeks now, and Nari choked on her sobs, fear consuming her. Desperate to get away, she stumbled blindly on the street, hands in front of her.

     She was so focused on escaping that it was a few seconds before she heard an array of shouts coming from behind her.

     And other noises. A short scuffle, a loud bang, a cry of agony cut short, a dull thump.

     The ringing in her ears was prominent now, and finally the pain became too much. Nari collapsed on the street. Her cries continued, and she tried to drag herself along the asphalt, salty tears blurring her vision and dripping into her mouth and down her chin.

     A lighter pair of footsteps came towards her and Nari screamed, rolling onto her back to try and fend off the attacker.

     But when he reached her, he slowed down and crouched a few feet away, holding out empty hands in a show of peace. "It's ok, it's ok. I won't hurt you."

     Her mind was clouded with pain and exhaustion, but Nari recognized the boy in front of her. She pushed herself up on numb elbows and took in his dirty face.

     "H-hyunjin?" she hiccupped. "What are y-you doing here? Why were you following m-me? Why did y-you chase me?"

     Nari's tears returned as she recalled the terrifying chase, and she buried her face in her hands. Hyunjin came a little closer, but hesitantly, his black clothes wrinkling with his smooth movements.

     "Don't cry, it's ok. And I wasn't the one following you," he said, his eyes narrowing at the last bit. Nari wiped her nose.

     "Then w-who was? And what happened to him?" she asked as she took in the boy's disgruntled state. Shaking his head, he sighed.