thirteen.

Nari's p.o.v.

     Her neck burned like hell.

     Curled up on the living room couch with the boys, Nari sighed as the pain faded for a moment. Jeongin glanced down at her, concerned.

     "Do you need more ibuprofen?" he asked, his forehead creasing. Changbin looked up from his spot and watched her.

     "No, thank you," she managed to grit out. What she really needed was for the others to get back safely, to see their unharmed faces, and to know that they hadn't been hurt because of her.

     Oblivious to her thoughts, Jeongin nodded and looked back at the T.V. show that was playing.

     Nari tried to sit up to watch as well, but a lick of fire burned across the tattoo, and she hissed, plopping back down. Again, Jeongin let his troubled gaze settle on her form. He hated seeing someone he cared about in pain, even if it wasn't dangerous or permanent. So he stood, stretching.

     "I'm getting you more medicine," he announced, patting her leg before leaving the room.

     She snorted at his fussing and gently propped her head up in one hand. "Is he like that to everyone?"

     It took Changbin a second to realize she was addressing him, and he grinned. "Not everyone. He teases some of us quite a bit, but he really cares for everyone here. We all do."

     Her chest warmed. She wasn't used to such open tenderness, to being told that she was loved and wanted. Her eyes started to fill with moisture, but she blinked it away, not wanting to cry in front of him.

     In spite of her efforts, Changbin noticed her watery eyes and smiled softly. "It's okay to be yourself here," he assured her. She nodded, but still swiped the tears away before they could fall.

     A few minutes later, Jeongin came back, holding two plastic bottles and looking conflicted. "There's two different sizes; I wasn't sure which one you wanted to - "

     The boy was abruptly cut off when they heard the front door open. Nari shot up, ignoring the ache in her neck. Footsteps made their way to the living room and her heart swelled as she caught sight of Chan's face, clear and unworried for once.

     "We're home."

     Changbin cheered lazily from the couch, but Jeongin ran and bear-hugged his leader, squeezing him tightly, and did the same to Minho when he entered. Nari happily watched the scene unfold until he came in.

     His face softened as his little brother embraced him, and his eyes locked on her face over his shoulder, staying when he pulled away. When everyone came downstairs and greeted them warmly. As Woojin clapped him on the shoulder. The intensity of his gaze forced Nari to look away, and she focused on the reunion instead.

     Her attention was quickly captured again. She felt him move along the side of the couch, the pull of his weight as he sat down. When she didn't look at him he hesitated, but grasped her hand in his, gently. Slowly, she let herself face him.

     His eyes were still glowing, but with joy. Tilting his head, he grinned, eyes creasing. "See, always safe. Told you."

     Her lips pursed to hide that fact that she was crumbling inside, her face was faltering. It continued to, however, so Nari let her head thump against Hyunjin's chest and shook with silent sobs.

     Startled, Hyunjin glanced up at his family. They looked just as confused, but Minho mimed putting his arms around her.

     Hyunjin formed an "oh" with his lips and carefully slid his hands over her back, encompassing her in his grasp. Chan smiled softly and nudged the others out of the room, gesturing for them to leave the two alone for a second.

     Nari let herself melt into his embrace and squeezed her own arms around him, hard. Her head lifted and she met his concerned gaze with her teary one. "I was so scared," she whispered. Hyunjin frowned.

     "Why? Changbin and Jeongin wouldn't have let anything happen to you while we were gone, and the others were upstairs. There was nothing to be scared of," he explained.

     Nari swallowed, pulling back from him.  She absently brushed her fingers against the bandage on her neck. "No, I wasn't scared for myself at all. I was afraid for you - you guys. I don't want anyone to get hurt because of me, and if you did... I'd never forgive myself."

     As her words sunk in, Hyunjin realized that she was mostly talking about him. He wet his lips, trying to find the perfect words to say to her, and failed.

     His eyes flicked over her face and caught on the wrapping peeking out from behind her hair. When he spoke again, his voice had dropped several octaves.

     "Can I see it?"

     Nari glanced over, surprised. Her breath hitched when she saw his dark eyes focused solely on her neck, sweeping across her skin in a dangerously intimate way. Unable to respond, she simply nodded.

     He reached over, running a finger along the edge of the wrapping before gently pulling it off, exposing her hot skin to the air. Nari let a small sigh of relief out as her neck relaxed a bit, the cool air soothing it. But she quickly froze again as the boy brushed her hair aside to view the tattoo.

     Hyunjin carefully tucked her hair behind an ear, and leaned in closely to inspect the brand inked onto her body. His lips parted as he saw the name of his gang, their gang, scrawled onto her tender skin.

     In awe, he exhaled sharply, his breath hitting Nari. She jumped, making a small noise in the back of her throat. Blushing deeply, Nari began to scoot away from him, embarrassed.

     Two large hands planted themselves on the couch with a harsh thump, trapping her inbetween them. Heart pounding, Nari stopped, keeping her head down and trying to breath normally.

     Since his hands were occupied, Hyunjin nudged her chin up with his nose, brushing it lightly against her neck. He smiled against her skin as she stifled a gasp, her small hand encircling one of his wrists. Head dipping down, he ran his mouth along the length of her tattoo, barely touching its surface.

     Goosebumps rose on her arms, and Nari shuddered. His lips moved to her ear and he said lowly, "It suits you."

     Suddenly serious, he grasped her shoulders, forcing her to meet his eyes. "Listen to me. None of this is, or ever will be, your fault. You are our family, so we will risk everything for you. Everything," he said adamantly. "But I swear, you won't hurt us. Any of us."

     Breathless, Nari's eyelashes fluttered. She tilted her head up at him, their noses almost touching. "You promise?"

     "I promise."

I suck at romance but here you go oof

you go oof

Also, don't be shy my (few) readers!
It's ok to comment, and it actually
boosts my moral and helps
me want to write more

Love y'all ❤