T H I R T Y - F O U R: Perse & Zephyr

3 days before their Journey

Persephone 

I watched my son laugh with Serenity after their noon martial arts practice with a fond smile on my face. 

His smile, such a rarity these days, was nearly identical to his father. 

A smile that made my heartache when I realized what he was about to go through in three day's time. 

My son looked up and smiled at me, his eyes sparkling with an emotion that I knew all too well. 

Love. 

He loved his girl and I knew without a doubt that he would do anything to protect her, even if it meant breaking my heart in the process. 

"Hey Mom" he hugged me, his sweaty self ruining my favorite dress "What do you need?" 

I laughed, pushing him off me "Ew! You smell!" 

He grinned wolfishly at me "I do not!" 

"You do" Serenity snickered before poking her head around my baby's body "Is it time for our session yet?" 

I shook my head "I think you deserve a 'Me Day' today." 

Serenity jumped up in excitement "Does that mean what I think it means?" 

I nodded and she let out a 'Whoop!' 

"I'm taking a hot shower and a long nap" she did a little dance and made a silly face at Zephyr "Sucks to suck!" 

He rolled his eyes "I can take a nap too you know." 

I gently touched his arm "I was thinking that we could take a walk and talk about a few things." 

"Oooh someone's in trouble." Serenity snickered and Zephyr hip bumped her hard enough that she stumbled "Hey!" 

"Go take you nap Princess" he said "It looks like you need one." 

She gasped and was about to lay into him when Midnight and Shadow appeared at her side. 

They nudged her towards the door and she glared at Zephyr "This isn't over." 

Zephyr grinned at her and watched her walk away. 

It wasn't until she was out of his sight did he acknowledge my presence again. 

I looked at him with a raised eyebrow when he gave me his full attention.