T h i r t y - N i n e

Persephone 

"HE'S GOING TO BE YOUR DOWNFALL!" My mother sneered at me "He will bring nothing but death and destruction to you!" 

"He brings me happiness and peace" I snarled back "And if you can't accept that then I'll-" 

"You'll what?" she scoffed "Leave me? You don't know the first thing about living in the real world." 

"I will" I said softly "I know much more than you think I do." 

"You!" My mother snapped at Hades "You caused this! You put these foolish thoughts in my daughter's head. You caused this strain in our relationship!" 

"With all due respect Demeter" Hades said softly "You relationship was strained before I met your daughter." 

She glared at me, hatred filling her eyes "I will not stand for this." 

"You don't have to stand for this Mother" I said "All that matters is our love for one another." 

"Love?" My mother scoffed "You don't know the first thing about love." 

"Yes, I do." 

"Oh really?" my mother said mockingly "What do you know about love?" 

"I know that knows no bounds" I said softly "Love is standing by those you care for no matter if it is good or bad. Love is having respect for one another no matter what. Love is about honesty and trust and the ability to be vulnerable to the other person without fearing if they will use that love to manipulate me."

I gave my mother a pointed look.  

She looked back at me like a rare species that she's never seen before. 

She turned her attention towards Hades "Your brothers will not be happy about this." 

Hades scowled "They don't have a say in this." 

"He will destroy you" Her face twisted in anger as she looked at me "Everything you've ever wanted, everything you've ever dreamed of will never be possible. Not if you stay with him." 

 "I will have everything and more with him" I raised my chin up at her "Because our love is something you will never understand." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I cried at the loss of our sixth child, a child made from our love, happiness, and endless devotion to one another. 

Hades held me in his arms, whispering sweet words of encouragement in my ears while the Chambermaids cleaned up the bloody mess from my newest unsuccessful labor.