T W E N T Y - E I G H T

Zephyr

"So..." Serenity started "Where are we headed?" 

I smiled at the curious nature hidden underneath her annoyed tone. 

I moved the oar a little further left, avoiding the plethora of jagged rocks in our path. 

"You have a map, don't you?" I smirked at her "Why don't you see for yourself?" 

"I did" she gave me a glare "But the only damn thing I see are trees." 

"Well...then that's where we're headed" I snickered. 

She threw a little stone at me "Smartass." 

I laughed, keeping my eyes on the route to avoid those pesky rocks. 

"Is this still the Acheron?" she asked, peeking over the boat to stare at the water in curiosity.

"No" I smiled, looking at the Merlot colored water "It's The Lethe." 

"The what?" 

"The Lethe" I repeated, keeping a steady hand on the oar "The River of Forgetfulness." 

"So if you touch it, you forget everything you know?" she asked, pulling her gaze from the water to me. 

"No" I said "The sole purpose of this River is for souls to drink from it in order to forget their previous lives." 

"It obviously doesn't work now, right?" She asked "Since everyone back in the city remembers their previous lives." 

"It works," I said "But only for the ones who choose to move on." 

"Hmm..." She hummed and then sat up straighter in her seat "Uh...Zephyr." 

"Yeah?" I focused on the dodging the steep rocks in front of us, frowning when I realized that they weren't here the last time I used this route to travel to the Island of  Elysia. 

"Do you see what I see?" She said, sounding panicky. 

I looked at her, on alert, and she pointed to something in front of her. 

When I followed her gaze, I relaxed a bit. 

"Don't worry" I reassured her "It's just an illusion." 

"It doesn't look like an illusion to me!" 

"Well, it is" I smiled "It's meant to keep the souls from traveling too far away from the city."