F O R T Y - S I X

Zephyr

Serenity was only gone for an hour but it felt like ten years.

Ten long, sad, and lonely years that had me contemplating every decision I've ever made in my short lifetime.

I groaned and fell back into the dry, cracked, and patchy land that was a familiar part of my home.

"Great Zephyr" I muttered to myself "Way to fudge up the little piece of happiness you had left."

"Ooh..." a familiar amused voice sounded from behind "GQ used the F-word."

I sat up so fast that I felt the blood rushing down my head.

"What are you doing here?" I questioned "Shouldn't you be with my Ma...Serenity?"

I coughed quickly to hide my almost Mate fumble.

Serenity's Uncle smirked down at me before making a 'Whoosh' sound and whip-like motion.

I cocked my head to the side in confusion and he sighed.

"Kids these days" he muttered "They're so sensitive that they don't even know when someone's fucking with them."

"You sure are related to Serenity" I sighed "You both love to curse."

Ethan grinned before plopping down next to me "She curses like a sailor?"

I nodded and his grin widened "It's comforting to know that my niece received the fun genes of the family. I was so worried that when I died, those spectacular genes died with me."

"Is there a point to this conversation?" I asked sarcastically "Or are you just here to rag on me and talk about yourself?"

Ethan whistled "GQ has claws underneath those neatly manicured hands."

I gave him a droll look "Please, leave me alone."

"I don't think I will" he grinned "In fact, I think I'll spend the night with you. You know, just to keep you company while my niece has you by the balls."

"Now do you prefer to be the big spoon or the little one?" He intertwined his hands with mine "Because I'm comfortable with either one GQ, but I should warn you, sometimes during the night I might lay my head on your chest and nuzzle underneath your chin."

"You're very touchy feely" I snatched my hand back from him "And very annoying."

"And you're very posh" he said "Like a male Spice girl."

I gave him a blank look and he shook his head in disbelief.