Eight

"I didn't know that you planned on applying to these schools." my grandma plopped packets onto my bed as I got ready for school. 

"The University of Connecticut, Pennsylvania State University, and the University of Colorado at Boulder." she read out loud.

I brushed out my eyelash extensions. "Yeah, I mostly did it for fun. I think it would be good if I stayed close to Lolo, so I don't want to go too far. Four hours away max."

"Are you excited about the class visit to Yale today?" my Abuela sat on the edge of my bed.

I nodded my head. "I'll let you know how I like it, but I have work right after school. Can you pick up Logan?"

"Of course." she agreed. "I made some of those muffins that you like."

"Thank you, I'll come to get them when I'm done getting ready." I said to Abuela before she walked out of my room.

Whenever I thought of Yale, I thought of Blair Waldorf, Vineyard Vines, and Lily Pulitzer. All of which used to be icons in my eyes. I was excited to tour Yale, but I didn't really know if it was a good fit for me.

Nevertheless, I got on the charter bus with my classmates so we could start the forty-minute drive to New Haven.

"Do you even wanna go to this school?" Mila questioned me.

I looked at her and shrugged. "Not really, but maybe we can find some gorgeous Yale athletes."

"I'll look at it for you." she assured me.

"Where do you wanna go to school?" I asked her.

I felt like I knew her but not her interests outside of cheerleading.

"Probably a big school with sororities and lots of parties. I know it sounds shallow but my parents are hard on me. I'm already majoring in econ, so they should let me go where I can have a little fun." she explained her side. "Don't you think so?"

I knew that her mom owned a cute little French restaurant that wasn't too far from the juice bar, but her dad was some kind of major investor and stockholder.

"Absolutely." I agreed with her. "I think I could see myself at NYU."

Mila nodded her head. "Absolutely. You just seem like a girl that belongs in the city."

"Born and raised." I reminded her.

"Are you going to that volunteering thing on Sunday for Jewel League? I need one more hour before the ball." she asked me.

Another reason why Mila and I had gotten closer is that we were both in the Jewel League. It was a league for people to volunteer, make a change in the community, and then you were celebrated with a big ball during your senior year.

I'd been doing the Jewel League since I was in elementary school because my Nonna was the president of the New York chapter. This time around, I was wondering if she was ever going to get off a cruise ship to come to my ball.

"Logan and I will be there." I answered. "Bright and early to pick up trash."

"I gotta set her and my brother up. They'd be so cute together." Mila yanked out her phone.

When we got to the campus, they split us between six tour guides. Which was kind of a lot when there were only one hundred and twenty-one people in our senior class.

I had to admit, I really liked the campus and New Haven. I also liked to think that this is where my parents met and fell in love.

Then there was the fact that some girl in a pink pea coat was twirling her blonde hair was she talked to Brennan. I knew flirting when I saw it.

"Who is that girl that keeps talking to Brennan and twirling her hair?" I asked Mila as we sat on the bench to eat lunch.

She rolled her eyes. "Jillian Tartal. She could write her Yale essay on how much she likes the color pink and still get in. Her family has been donating buckets of money to this school, especially after her brother almost hazed someone to death."

My eyes went wide. "Seriously?"

"They paid them off to keep it out of the news and so he could stay at Yale." she briefly explained. "But you didn't hear that from me."

"I know her family wants to be closer to the DuPont's. They're trying to work their way back up the Hartford social ladder." Mila went on.

I looked at her. "You know everything, don't you?"

"I love gossip between families, it's so entertaining. My mom and I talk about it all the time." she stood up from the bench. "I'm going to meet Adler at Starbucks, want something?"

"Vanilla latte, I'll Venmo you." I requested.

Mila gave me a thumbs up before she walked away.

I kept trying to read Jill.

She seemed very neat and pretty.

I could tell that she was into Brennan by her body language.

Oh lord, why is he coming over here?

"Hey." he sat down next to me. "Do you like it so far?"

"It's Yale." I responded. "Full of history and rich people."

I shrugged. "It's not for me. My parents always wanted me to go here because this is where they met and 'had the best years of their lives.'"

"I get that." Brennan began. "My parents try to vicariously live through me. I don't think Yale is for me either. I've been in Connecticut for most of my life and I need something new."

"Anyway, remember that Albert guy I was telling you about?" he went on.

"Yeah." I thought back to when Brennan was on his Nancy Drew shit.

He turned all the way towards me. "He RVSPed for my parents' Thanksgiving party. You should come so we can see if he knows anything."

If his law career didn't work out, he would make an excellent detective.

My heart sped up. "Oh my gosh, seriously? This could be a major hit."

"I know." he nodded his head excitedly. "The party is from seven to a little after midnight. In case your family has anything going on."

"I'll be there." I decided. "Do I need to dress up?"

"Yeah, it's a fancy dinner party type of thing," he explained. "I can't wait to show you off."

I think my heart just skipped a beat.