Epilogue

My dad (if I could even call him that) was sentenced to ninety years in prison for two counts of first-degree murder. He got 45 years in prison for each charge.

I never ever wanted to see him again. I did not want him to have a clue what I was doing with my life.

After I graduated from high school, I went on a family trip with my Abuelo, Abuela, and Logan to Puerto Vallerta for a week. They challenged us to only mostly speak in Spanish for most of the trip which was a challenge, but I appreciated them for keeping the culture alive.

That trip got my mind off of the sentencing which I loved. 

Most of my summer was spent working, hanging out with my friends, and trying to figure out my move to New York City. I was so excited about the move.

New York City would forever be my city. I couldn't wait to share it and show it to Brennan. 

"These finger sandwiches are really good." I complimented Brennan's sandwich making skills. He took me out for a picnic at the park.

The weather was so nice.

"Thank you, Ry." he grinned. "Did you get all the stuff for your dorm?"

I nodded my head. "For the most part. Did you?"

"For the most part." he winked.

"I cannot believe that we move next weekend." Brennan put his arm over me. "Good thing NYU and Columbia are only six miles apart."

I looked at him. "Oh? Someone has been doing their research."

"Of course." he moved his arm. "Try these red velvet cookies."

Brennan and I were still friends. Only friends. I was putting in a lot of work in therapy and I was prepping for the big move.

I knew that I would never be one hundred percent ready for anything in life. I just wanted to make sure that I was in a good enough space to be a good girlfriend. 

Before we made that step, I had to figure out New York Ryan again.

And I did just that.

When I was little, I always thought I would go off to California or up north for school, but no. Here I was back in the city that made me.

I was excited to be back with my closest New York high school friends, to be living on my own in a dorm that we made so many Pinterest boards and thrift trips for, and for a fresh start.

While I was at NYU, I did something I didn't ever think I would do, I joined a sorority. Even though I had certain stereotypes about Greek life before I was in it, I loved every moment in my sororities. 

Meeting new friends, becoming our social chair, the parties, the shirts, I loved it all.

I had internships at a Public Relations firm, David Yurman, and Tarte Cosmetics. I was not always the best student in high school, but I excelled in college. I was learning about a major that I love.

Logan got a full ride to the University of Georgia for tennis. I knew that she would thrive at Georgia between playing the sport she loved, big football games, being a sorority girl, and southern fashion.

I was so proud of her, but I hated having my baby sister twelve hours away. We FaceTimed every day and I loved how close we were. 

I graduated from the New York University with a 3.75 cumulative GPA, sorority president, and a full-time job offer to work at a marketing firm in the city.

My Abuelo, Abuela, and sister made the trip to come to watch me graduate from college which I appreciated.

"So, what's next?" Logan asked me as we sat on the couch of my apartment watching Sex and the City.