21

Elli's POV

Julie should be here any minute. I can't believe we've finally made it to the point that I am going to tell her about everything. Luke and Alex know. Reggie knows. Julie is the only one left to tell. I've waited a long time for this. Originally, I wanted to do this way earlier. After Luke found out, he suggested having some fun with it. Who am I to say no to that? But now, I can't wait to get this off my chest.

"Hey, Elli, you okay?", Dad asks as I keep on waiting for Julie. I wonder what is taking this long, but also turn to my Dad with knitted eyebrows. Why would he ask me that? Do I not look alright? I'm fine. Truthfully. Maybe I'm a bit concerned because I'm still not completely sure what Julie meant when she was talking about crossing over. I make a mental note on asking her about it after spilling the beans about our lovely ghosts.

Furrowed eyebrows still remaining on my face, I answer him, "Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine. Why are asking? Did I do something to let you think I'm not?". I can't think of what made him have the impression that I'm not. It's been a while since anyone but Ivy has shown concern towards me. They usually focus on Julie.

I know my family cares about me, but sometimes I feel like I'm not even part of it. Sometimes I feel like I'm a ghost, like people can't see me. Most of the time I tell myself that I enjoy that. Let's be honest here, I don't enjoy it. I have never enjoyed that. Not even for a second. Could that possibly be why I feel so connected to Alex, Luke, and Reggie? At least they know what being invisible feels like.

No.

This is not fair to them. They have gone through a lot. Coming to think about it, they might have even seen each other die. What are the odds that all three of them have died at the same time? That is highly unlikely. Especially when it comes to food poisoning. Right? I don't know. I'm not a doctor.

I just don't want to look selfish. Julie was closer to my Mom. She needs our family's comfort. I don't want to take that away from her. Never in a million years could I do that. That's why I talk to Ivy about things like this.

"No. No not exactly", Dad starts, "It's just that you have never ask to talk to Julie privately like that. I get that there are certain things teenage girls don't want to talk to their Dads about. That was always your Mom's part, you know. Is it a boy?", he looks at me with concerned eyes.

Oh no. I feel incredibly bad right now. Do I make him feel like he is a bad father? He's not. He's the best father I could ever ask for.

"What? No. No it's not like that. I- ", I don't get to finish my sentenced before my Dad starts talking again, "Is it a girl?". My eyes visibly widen at that. Is he really trying to have this talk right now? I don't know how to answer that question. I let out a nervous laugh.

"Look, whatever it is, I just want you to know that I'm here. You can always talk to me. I hope you know that. I know sometimes it seems like I care more about Julie's feelings, but that's not true. I care about both of you very much. I just... I just don't know what to do sometimes. Julie has always been easy to read to me. You on the other hand... I never know what you might be thinking".

Wow.

That explains a lot. I know that I can talk to him and that he will be supportive and understanding. That's the kind of person he is. The problem is that most of the time I don't really know what it is that I'm feeling myself. That's why I write songs. They are maybe the most vulnerable things I have. They are the most personal things I possess. I'm not quite sure if I'm ready to show my songs to my Dad. I only ever showed them to my Mom.

I try to think of an answer, but I don't get that far. Julie comes in and Dad and I turn towards her.

Luke, Reggie, and Alex follow behind her. It looks like the four of them have cried. What happened? Maybe they are just happy about their performance.

"Julie, can we talk now?", I ask. I can't wait any longer. It feels like it's suffocating me. Especially now, with everybody in the room.

I hope the boys haven't told her yet. It's not like that would be the end of the world, but I don't know. After all this time, I want to be the one to tell her. I feel bad enough as it is for lying to her about everything.

I guess she'll understand. At least I hope she will.

She forgave the boys for letting her down. That must mean she'll forgive me too if she even gets angry, right? Right?

Suddenly my nerves are kicking in, but there's no way in hell I'm going to back down now. I'm afraid that if I don't tell her now, I will never be able to do this.

"Yeah, sure. Let's go to your room"

The both of us want to make our way to my room when our Dad stops us. He has a confused, maybe slightly angry expression on his face. "Julie? We talked about this. What did I tell you about lying to me?" What is he talking about? When has Julie lied since she came into the house? She just said two sentences.

I look at Julie, who seems just as surprised and confused as me, "What do mean? When did I lie?"

"Julie, I'm not stupid. You just told me your band isn't here. What of that isn't a lie? They are standing right in front of me!"

I blurt out, "Wait... you can see them?"

Since when can he see them? This is just too confusing.

Julie then looks at me with wide eyes.

"You? You can see them?"

Well, that's one way for her to find out.

---

A/N

What do you think will happen next?

A piece of advise, don't let your computer read your chapter out loud (For correcting) while listening to the song fine line by Harry Styles. It hurts.