Chapter 7

"Reyn?"

"Hmm?"

"Wake up! I saw a scary ghost!"

He's awake and gives me an annoyed, almost black look. 

"A scary ghost?" he repeats.

Now, he's staring at me mockingly. 

Probably, this will precede an order. So, my irascible husband commands, and I must obey diligently.

"Come to bed!"

Well, what interests him in me? Is it my intelligence or my knowledge as a physician?

Nope!

I know my face and body are pleasant to look at. That's why Reyn intends to use my services to satisfy his appetite for sex. And I must behave like a humble, submissive wife, doing what he wants.

But this ghost story isn't over.

Then my husband devours me with a thousand kisses! I shudder, bubbling and burning like an erupting volcano. 

Before we move on to serious things:

"It was a woman! She looked mean and cruel," I say.

Holy God! Reyn voluptuously nibbles my breasts, and I can't think of anything else. 

"I saw her when I was a child, just once. She never came back, except tonight," he confesses, releasing my breasts.

"Do you know who she is?" I ask with excitement for him and this earth-shattering news.

"She isn't dangerous," he asserts.

He ended the conversation with a cutting voice, cutting like a knife. Next, he's on me, engulfed himself again, reminding me what I'm for. He plans my job during this life beside him, that of a young, ravishing filly. I'm here to be ridden as many times as he wishes.

I don't want to complain.

I like belonging to Reyn, becoming this perfect mix between humans and animals. And he's equal to the task, plowing me like a wasteland, leaving a print of fire on my body. Then, drawn in a wave of pleasure and drunkenness, I nestle against him.

And I have a beautiful dream.

He's a simple peasant; I'm his loving wife.

I take care of our farm animals while he works in our fields. 

He often asks me for my opinion about a whole bunch of stuff.

I'm his wife and his equal.

We're poor and don't know how to feed all these wonderful children we will have.

But night fell on my dream.

The sky sounds black, almost starless, and I'm waiting for him in our humble cottage.

Maybe he's running aimlessly through the forest.

Maybe he's hungry.

I'm so afraid for him.

My dream is over. 

And I remember how much I loved him.

***

It's already morning, and Reyn stretches, then leaps to his feet. He doesn't give me a single glance. Now, he's somewhere else. His lordly occupations will keep him away from me daily.

My place is in his bed or with the ladies of the castle.

Neither of the sisters feels the slightest sympathy for a Jewish merchant's daughter. To these noble ladies, I'm a cumbersome little commoner. John of Chasseney asked them to be kind and gentle with me. So they faked some hypocritical signs of affection for the newcomer. But far from their lord's eyes, I'm only entitled to evil glances full of disdain. I don't doubt they're offended at the idea I could bear the Chasseney heirs one day.

After Reyn's departure, I don't desire to join these shrews to suffer their malevolence.

Embroidery they love remains a big mystery, even if I know how to stitch human flesh with a needle and some silk thread. I speak Latin, Venetian, Genoese, and Pisan languages. I also understand Arabic. I can write and read it perfectly, and so does Turkish. 

Alas, none of this knowledge proves helpful when it comes to embroidery. I get confused all time and pretend to be desperate. It's so hard to complete this pair of damn lions fighting each other on an unfortunate scarf that didn't ask for anything.

I watch with hesitation some clothes made for me by a zealous and skillful seamstress. She was cheerful for this order of gowns, nightgowns, and cloaks.

The money received will support her family until next winter. She thinks I'm gorgeous, so my husband will greatly spoil me. She took my measurements by raving over my face's radiant beauty, hair, and body.

Is she sincere?

I understood Chasseney seigneury is rich and discovered this world where the wealthy and powerful have nothing to do but be admired by humble, devoted, and hard-working people.

I finally chose a sky color gown.

The seamstress explained this shade is very fashionable these days.

Then I decided to go to the stables.

Maybe Reyn is there.

I'm ashamed to look for him, but I can't help it. I would have appreciated a simple goodbye and his promise that he willingly accepts the disturbance of his daily life caused by our wedding.

He probably hadn't planned to marry so soon. My coming into his life has significantly changed his existence. And for me, I worked a month ago in Sens's Jewish Quarter as a physician. I was caring for the sick and bringing children into the world.

I miss it all, but when I think of Reyn's kisses, my heart starts racing against my will.

So I look for you, my love.

And too bad if you prefer to go about your business away from me.

But I'll find you.

In front of the stables, I unexpectedly meet Aurel of Campemy, sitting on the ground. I remember this idiot's horrible manners that famous evening at Sens. I saw him several times afterward. But he seemed to suffer from the disease of forgetfulness while having eyes on me.

He suddenly turns his head away when he notices me. However, I greet him politely, "Good morning, my lord!"

"Go away!" he orders, with his back to me.

I hate how most people in the fortress keep reminding me of my humble origins.

Aurel is such a lout!

"Forgive me for bothering you, my lord," I reply. "Being your cousin's wife, maybe I deserve some respect."

"Don't play that game, please!" he says, frowning.

And he adds, "I know you're the wolf's wife."

"What's that?"

I can't believe my ears.

I agree that Reyn has beautiful animal eyes.

But pretending he's one for real doesn't make sense!

***