Chapter 18

After this strange supper, some servants led us to a sparsely decorated but comfortable room. Reyn fell asleep immediately, not disturbed by this worrying castle through rivers and swamps.

As for me, despite my efforts, I can't find rest. So, after a while, I put my gown back on, determined to investigate the mysteries of this place.

In the great hall, the tables are now empty. The fire finishes dying at the bottom of the big chimney. I walk silently in the footsteps of the count's guests. My feet barely touch the stone slabs, so much I try not to make noise.

I cross a succession of vaulted rooms to end up in a vast courtyard. I notice a staircase lit by torches. It undoubtedly leads to the castle's cellars. Without a backward glance, I go down the steps which sink into the ground.

Very thick walls characterize these secret places, protective in times of battle. Plenty of food is stored here as if the Cortenova were planning to face a long siege. I hear a faint echo from the rooms at the far end. I wish I had left Reyn sleeping so well. His tall soldier's figure by my side would be reassuring.

Some torches along the walls guide me, and I silently approach what seems to be a ceremony with many men and women. The old blind man is in the center of the audience, with worshippers around him. His voice, though weak, has reached the other end of the cellars.

His words make me shiver:

My beloved brothers and sisters, it's to me who's deprived of light that an incredible vision has been granted.

Since the beginning of time, magical creatures have lived among us. Once numerous, they rippled through this world like large rivers irrigating the human crops and seeming to offer them abundance.

But these creatures are cunning, able to seduce us by taking our appearance. So don't trust their sweet face, my friends, because these abominations hate us, we who have chosen to serve God.

We who know how those who claim to glorify the word of the Lord wallow in luxury, depravity!

They amass gold and want to taste the pleasures of the flesh.

In the torchlight, the pale, sickly figure of the older man, and his eyes forever blinded, give him an almost supernatural look. Then, finally, he appears to gather his last strength to chant a few more words:

God himself has struck the abominations with righteous anger. He has cursed them, forbidding them any offspring between themselves or other repulsive monsters.

My time in this world is ending because anyone discovering their existence is condemned to death.

The power of these creatures is, unfortunately, deadly.

There are protests among the disciples, but the blind man calms them with a wave of his hand. The worshipers then move to form a large circle around him. I recognize Countess Beatrice. She is kneeling and prostrating herself in an oriental manner, palms on the ground.

The older man slowly approaches her with a Gospel in his hands. He asks her three times if she agrees to believe in true faith. Countess Beatrice answers three times that she wants it with all her heart. Among the audience, her mother watches her with happiness.

The ceremony seems finished.

I want to run away as far as possible from the "Light Bearers" with all my strength. These are the survivors of this heresy leading many men, women, and children to a horrible death in the avenging flames of the Inquisition.