Chapter 9

The day he leaves, I must help him to put on his hauberk and to fix solid iron plates on his shoulders. His warrior's attire protects him from fatal blows, from evil plans invented by enemies. While I tie his gambeson, my hands caress his skin. Memories of that night popped into my head. Reyn and I, sweating on our bed, my belly burning against his.

Then, the day he leaves, we seal with a kiss an alliance I would like eternal.

Are we reconciled?

He didn't appreciate the turn of events, and he yelled to let me hear his dark anger. He wanted King's brother to feel the burden of his wrath, too.

But Aurel dissuaded him from such folly.

The army will progress on the Nile banks to reach Cairo. And on the river, ships are ordered to retreat toward Damietta in case of an attack. So, according to Aurel, the risk isn't high on waters.

Rumor says some of King's advisors thought it was more prudent to conquer Alexandria instead of Cairo, this city having a port where food and ammunition would never be lacking.

The sovereign considered them timorous and fearful. About fifteen thousand combatants walking and about seven thousand horse riding are at his disposal. Such an army marches preceded by terror inspired in its enemies.

Slowly, I follow him towards his great steed. Aurel is already in the saddle, and squires stare at me with curiosity.

I hold back my tears to look strong.

And I wonder again:

Are we reconciled?

He's my sunshine, my reason to live.

But Reyn dreams of glory, of rushing into hard battles.

My tears roll down my face as I embark on our ship with Azalia. Mistress Hersende wished the beguine to be part of the medical team and assist me. The nice girl confesses her eyes remain dry because she doesn't have any lover risking death. She became a beguine due to her poverty and wasn't lucky enough to find a suitable husband. She's pretty, though, and I tell her love stuff often happens without us expecting it.

We're on November 29, 1249. Our captain, Guillaume of Olivari, is a native from Nice who commanded many merchant ships. Onboard, Azalia and I meet other passengers. Famous Dudon, King's physician and clergyman, and Johannes Pitard, his assistant, a young fellow with a stern look considering his age! 

I observe this talented boy who saved my worst enemy, Bernard of Congast. Dudon, as for him, grimaces in disgust while making the sign of the cross.

"May the good Lord protect us from females on waters!" he proclaims.

Johannes Pitard smiles faintly, embarrassed by his master's murderous remark. Guillaume of Olivari then gives his orders to sailors with a powerful voice. The vessel, heavily loaded with supplies and equipment, starts to move slowly. But, unfortunately, our pilot has no map to navigate in this part of the Nile.

It's an unknown and perilous place for Christians.

I'm worried because I saw around our ships a slightly stooped figure looking like Congast.

It's impossible! According to recent news, this horrible man wasn't in any condition to fight. However, I will question Johannes Pitard to find out more.

An opportunity arises at mealtime when everyone goes to the bow where our captain and his officers are housed. But the young physicist is dragging his feet a bit, and far ahead, Dudon has an animated discussion with Guillaume of Olivari.