Chapter 18

Mistress Hersende is trying to style my hair nicely. I wore my sky-colored gown, which would bring me good luck. I have been summoned to the king's brothers at the ship's top.

I didn't steal anything!

And I can't stop fidgeting.

"Keep still!" Mistress Hersende gently orders. "There must be an explanation for this brooch affair."

There's a knock at the door; possibly the royal guards in charge of leading me in chains before the princes. But it's Beatrice, as fresh as a rosebud. "Ada," she says, her beautiful eyes filled with sincere repentance.

In appearance!

I answer hastily before the princess's mood turns sour again, "This brooch belongs to me! I swear to God."

Beatrice digs into the pouch she wears on her belt and takes out:

My brooch!

"I believe you, my dear Ada! You must forgive me! I have a quick temper sometimes," she argues.

Some apologies! That's the least she could do. She threatened to throw me overboard, and it's no small thing. She's looking again, still into the pouch.

She finds and proudly shows off:

 My brooch???

"Yes, Ada! The same brooches, mine and yours," she announces, laughing.

Mistress Hersende signs the cross several times as a good Christian, and Beatrice takes a mysterious air.

"The master goldsmith worked for two friends who had loved each other since childhood. They were separated to marry."

She hands me a scroll slid into her belt. When unfolded, it's covered with elegant, most feminine handwriting.

"Read, and you will understand," she suggests with a warm smile.

My dear Ida,

I count the days since I left you to move so far away.

I miss you so much.

How are you? Is Count of Geneva a husband who meets your expectations?

Are you living happily?

As for me, I don't know where to start.

But I must tell you about my adventures since my father's castle return.

Alas, it wasn't nice to see my family again.

They had all adopted this strange belief that invaded the South of the kingdom.

It was frightening!

My future husband was a man called Raymond of Congast.

Damn it! That's the same name as that horrible man who attacked me. They must be related.

I continue the letter:

My dear Ida, we have always been raised to obey our families wishes.

But this Raymond of Congast was an absolute monster, a dangerous animal.

He was so repulsive, and I couldn't marry this man in the rites of his cursed heresy. So I told my father I wanted to become a nun, to pray for him and our whole family.

God! If you could have seen him, Ida!

His face was distorted with hatred, and he swore he would rather watch me die.