Chapter 20

Terrified by the giant, Badiya immediately confesses my husband's name. Moreover, the Bedouin tells him some nonsense about my great healing power. According to her, some Christians think the famous snakes I'm the bastard would be enchanters. But Baibars and his brother aren't impressed by these tales.

Unfortunately, Reyn and Aurel aren't strangers to the two Mameluke emirs. They struggled them in a tough battle, where Baibars almost lost his life.

They were captured, and the giant plans to obtain the Sultan's permission to execute them. This horrible threat could destroy what little courage I have left.

But I have to keep fighting for them. "The young mother and her baby won't get any better! Without a doctor's help, both risk death."

No sooner had I spoken than Baibars grabbed my throat.

"They won't be the only ones to disappear! Trust me on this point!" he roars fiercely.

I have great difficulty breathing, and he finally lets go of me. I understand he won't give in to my demands. Perhaps I can try one last thing.

"Although I haven't officially taken the oath, life is sacred to me. I'll try my best to save them, but this childbirth will be extremely complicated. How can I do the job if my husband and his cousin die? Despite myself, my actions may be clumsy."

Baibars doesn't answer, and anyway, Assia has just given a long scream. While examining the patient, I noticed the baby has his back against his mother's belly, which is a good sign. But, unfortunately, it's impossible to know the position of the child's legs or the size of his pelvis compared to his head. In such a situation, the uncertainties are always high.

The cervical dilation appears normal, and despite Assia's youth, I hope she will be able to push the baby out. I had a tragic case where I broke the limbs of an already dead fetus to save the mother.

I pray it doesn't end up like this.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see Johannes Pitard coming. He's emaciated, though neatly dressed. So it was indeed him I had spotted among the prisoners.

"What happiness to know you alive!" he exclaims.

"Speak softly! They can partly understand our language."

I whispered this cautiously before pointing to Assia in a professorial tone, "There won't be too many of us, dear friend!"

Not very comfortable, Johannes weakly admits he isn't used to playing the midwife.

"If I manage to get the child out and he isn't breathing, I will take care of the little one, and you look after the mother," I explain.

Johannes nods, then I give my instructions to Baibars and his brother, "We need to light a fire, fill a vat for the newborn's bath, provide a warm swaddle!"

While the two mamelukes order to servants, I have an opportunity to question Johannes discreetly, "Please, tell me some news?"

"Your husband is here, in Cairo. He had his leg broken," he whispers. "With the king's physician, we have immobilized the limb, hoping it will be enough."

"For heaven's sake! Reyn must suffer terrible pain," I say with tears in my eyes. "Didn't the king's physician drown? And Azalia? And Aurel?"

"Your husband's cousin has been stabbed in the face with a sword. As for the unfortunate beguine, I don't know anything about her fate," he answers sadly.

The giant has noticed we're conversing, so I immediately interrupt the discussion. My heart bleeds at the thought of Reyn and Aurel being wounded, helplessly delivered to Baibars's cruelty.

If only all these were a horrible nightmare!

Then I could wake up across the sea, lovingly nestled against Reyn. But, unfortunately, his fate never rests in the hands of a knight. He must obey his king, leaving his home and a sweet family, perhaps forever.

I shared amazement at the beauty of distant lands and some rare moments of victory. Should I complain today about horrible trials? Isn't it better to gather my strength, to hope in the good Lord for a brighter future?

Now, this is all I have left.

When Baibars's child came out, buttocks first, I handled him carefully to ease the passage of shoulders and arms, then the head followed. He's a beautiful boy. Assia is radiant, and the father looks at his son with pride.

But Johannes Pitard is worried about his fate, and so am I.

Baibars is quick to order the physician to be brought back to the other prisoners. As for me, I wait with an empty gaze. I have almost no chance to know one day this great happiness lived by the lovely Assia.

The giant leaves for a moment the pretty picture of a mother breastfeeding her baby for the first time.

Then, he drags me further away without mercy to inform me what he has decided about my husband and his cousin, "I grant life to the lord of Chasseney, to his detestable cousin, and to this Johannes Pitard. Are you happy now?"

I remain on the defensive. The victorious glint in Baibars's eyes doesn't bode well for me, and he laughs at my defiance.

"You're right to be suspicious! My little brother is a lucky man. I think you're as smart as you're beautiful. He's so inexperienced with women!" he adds, watching my dancer's outfit. "Your goddess body should fully satisfy him. And you're not a shy virgin! I'm sure you'll be able to handle him."

I move back a few steps, but he brutally grabs my arm, holding me against him effortlessly.

"You have to fulfill my little brother's desires, or the three Franks' heads will roll. I can't wait for my beloved brother to brag about his fantastic night with his devoted slave. And don't you dare tell him anything of our deal!"

Before returning to his son, he mockingly scrutinizes me.

"I will give instructions to bring you clothes worthy of your beauty! Altan will soon join you, and the faster you belong to him, the faster you will deliver a son as perfect as mine."

Violent nausea overcame me.

I'm so disgusted by the monstrosity of the giant.

I could slip in a few words to Johannes Pitard before guards seized him. I expressly begged him not to inform Reyn of the events concerning me. I fear my husband and his cousin might do something rash, but it would be folly with their injuries.

I remember very well the physician's saddened face.

"It will be terrible for him not to know anything! You will prolong his ordeal," he lamented.

He had no idea of the vipers' nest I had fallen into. From now on, Reyn's torment will end the day he thinks I'm dead.

***