Chapter 25

Turkish soldiers have formed a large hedge of honor along the way to the river.

Many of the Mamelukes regret the painful end of the beautiful and brave slave. She fought hard against the horrible tyrant, just like them. She seems to be asleep in the arms of the one who was her master. At the fatal moment when she breathes her last, Altan lets the body of his lovely Frankish princess sink into the Nile's depths.

***

Since she's no longer there, both brothers have become accustomed to staying at the water's edge to talk to each other. Altan knows she protected them by swearing to the tyrant not to remember them, and Baibars admits owing her the life of Assia and his son.

Altan tells Rukn about the great happiness of possessing Ada only once, but as if for a whole existence.

His eyes are sad, dreamy.

Rukn has some ideas concerning love because he enjoys Assia. She bakes delicious bread and is a sweet, obedient woman. Nothing to do with that stubborn Frankish girl!

However, he takes care not to confess such consideration to his brother.

He remembers the battle with the tyrant, which cost the poor girl her life. But he thought he had saved her by cutting off Touran Shah's arm. Then he had chased the fallen sultan to the river to finish him off.

Unfortunately, the bastard had sheltered in his fucking tower, and Rukn had forced him down by burning it.

Altan seems downhearted. So Rukn suggests a future expedition to the Franks. To know if they couldn't find another beauty with big dark eyes and long light hair where sunlight gets trapped and never dies. Altan mumbles that the Franks mustn't have so many wonders like his Ada. Rukn replies that they will have to look, but nothing is impossible for two valiant Mamelukes.

That morning, the two Turks made the huge decision to go to the boats where the Franks were waiting for their ransom to be paid. Out of respect for their pretty Christian princess, Altan and Rukn want to tell her husband that she no longer belongs to this world. Reyn of Chasseney will undoubtedly wish to pray to his god, to organize a ceremony according to his religion. For many excellent reasons, both brothers hate this stranger. One reason is that this jackal experienced the joy of possessing Ada the very first time. Such a gift to an infidel dog makes Altan simmer with rage.

Baibars can't feel this wild beast because he was almost killed when he faced him. Indeed, Reyn of Chasseney slaughtered about twenty of his brave Mamelukes before the giant managed to break him a leg. Fortunately, Qalawun took care of slashing Aurel of Campemy's face, another dangerous opponent.

Since Baibars had to fight both together, he wouldn't have escaped unscathed without Qalawun.

Once he had won, he wanted to cut off those two bastards' heads, Reyn of Chasseney and Aurel of Campemy. But Qutuz, that jackass who claims to be of royal blood, preferred to let them live. He was impressed by their strength and thought those gladiators would be useful against young mamelukes to train them. First, of course, provided that the two Franks would recover from their wounds.

Once on the ship, Altan watches the Franc. This arrogant, disdainful nobleman looks more like an animal than a man. Little Ada must have been terrified to be offered as a bride to this monster. The idea makes the young Turk mad with anger.

However, Baibars notes with pleasure that the Frankish knight isn't yet able to fight, with his leg immobilized, and he regrets not having broken the second leg of his enemy to force him to crawl.

He understood why the beautiful slave loved her husband so much.

Wasn't she an animal, either? He saw this when she faced Touran Shah with the courage of a panther.

Out of caution, Altan is very suspicious of the other two Franks, the one Qalawun wounded and the king's brother, who sounds dangerous.

But inevitably, the most horrible plagues are about to spread on the ship where the Christians are waiting for their freedom after a lot of suffering.

Reyn has no news of his beloved wife.

He misses her more and more daily, dreaming of her pretty face, of her beautiful body.

He imagines other men trying to possess her forcefully. This thought gnaws deep inside him, giving him an insane urge to kill. If the good Lord grants him to see Ada again, he won't ask her anything. But he will make love to her for days and nights.

Desperate, Reyn will seek Ada when he can walk, and he won't stop until he finds her.

As for Aurel, he's still in love with Ada and can't stop thinking about her. He hates his cousin for not keeping her safely in Damietta. If she had married him instead of Reyn, he would never have allowed her on a fucking ship. Once free, he plans to tell Hersende that he wants nothing more to do with her.

Then, he will leave with Reyn to find Ada.

Charles of Anjou has two great regrets, plus a growing resentment. His first regret is losing a beloved brother in a shitty expedition, where almost half of his knights died. His second regret was not being able to get the pretty Ada of Chasseney into his bed. Then, of course, he blames himself for allowing this woman to accompany them, but it was so tempting to build a dark and thick net around her.

Concerning resentment, Charles is furious at Louis for his innocence in the war. Indeed, the king fought bravely, but he lacked reflection and prudence, sending nearly twenty thousand good Christians to join their maker.

Unfortunately, Louis even managed to get himself captured and all the rest of his army with him. As a result, Charles has had more than enough of masses and other bigotry. However, he wants to see the beautiful Ada again and is enraged at the idea that she's probably locked up in the harem of a Mohammedan pig.

Baibars clears his throat a little before announcing the terrible news to the Franks, "Touran Shah, the infamous and bloodthirsty tyrant, committed his last crime before falling forever! Unluckily, this demon murdered a valuable slave my brother loved very much."

Reyn, Aurel, Charles of Anjou raise their eyes to heaven. They will never understand this need that Mohammedans have to mix love and trade.

"Is your brother unable to find a woman without buying her?" the young widower retorts.

Baïbars holds back Altan, who wants to make the proud Franc eat his words.

"The little one now lies in the Great River, as she wished. And she told us she was your wife," he says quietly, staring at Reyn.

Peace or war between soldiers is such a slender thread!

But now, the plagues are free.

And they have a field day when Reyn, filled with rage, almost manages to strangle Altan despite his broken leg. Next, Charles of Anjou and Aurel attack Baibars together. A free-for-all ensued, showing the combatants' vitality although this terrible war exhausted everyone.

Thank God there were no new deaths on either side of the battle. But blows were violent, and all insults equal to the seriousness of the situation. The Mamelukes promptly left the ship, and Baibars vowed to slaughter the widower, one day or another.

Reyn is mad with grief. He doesn't want to believe in Ada's death until he sees her poor body. Despite his face wound, Aurel dived into the Nile, trying to find his goddess, and several Christians are searching with him.

Charles of Anjou wonders how a descendant of Saladin could have butchered an exquisite creature. He doesn't understand this land or these people, thinking of returning home to manage his fiefs.

He will never forget the lovely Ada, her beauty, her charm. She will always be his deepest regret.

***