Chapter 15

Warning 💥

This chapter contains an explicit and violent scene.

*** 

Aboard the ship, my main task is to care for Beatrice's recovery. Her husband, Charles of Anjou, and Robert of Artois, the other royal brother, are great lords; everyone crawls before them. They stand in a dungeon built at the vessel's bow, with a splendid sea view.

When I visit Beatrice, I often encounter the two princes of France with their knights. All these important characters look at me shamelessly, as if I were some merchandise exposed on a stall.

They're arrogant towards Mistress Hersende or me and even Countess Beatrice. 

She's pretty nice, with beautiful eyes and a slim silhouette.

Beatrice confessed to me having married the king's brother at fifteen, but the prince shows disdain for his little wife without apparent reason. And she doesn't care about it; she's probably accustomed to being considered unimportant by her peers, despite her wealth and nobility.

With Mistress Hersende, I learn much about childbirth and women's diseases. She told me the queen left her children to her mother-in-law, the youngest only three years old. At the beginning of her marriage, the sovereign had suffered many miscarriages. Fortunately, the wheel of fate has turned in her favor, and she's now a proud mom.

I saw that awful man again on deck, with his piercing gaze. His face seemed chiseled in a sharp rock, sharp as a blade, and his horrible scar added to his ugly appearance.

I met his eyes without looking for them, and he grinned. Maybe he wanted to smile? An icy cold slipped all over my body. So I turned my head to contemplate the horizon, between sea and sky.

Every day, discussions about the king's plans after Cyprus are underway. Everyone wonders whether the army will land in Syria or Egypt. In any case, King Louis showed determination in a battle along the Rhone route, remembering a bad lord who ransomed unfortunate pilgrims and merchants. Countess Beatrice fiercely related how her husband led the troop charged with razing the traitor's castle by the king's order. Thus, our huge army is ready to face everything, both storms, and Saracens.

As for me, I think of the little one nestled in my belly. And I dream of Reyn putting such a soft hand on my skin right where our child is.

During the evening, I can't sleep. Finally, I get to the ship's top seeing distant lights on other vessels.

I wonder if Reyn is there, not too far away.

The place seems deserted, but I perceive a worrying presence behind me. I immediately turn around to face danger. But, unfortunately, this hateful man is right there, and I try to control my desire to flee.

"What frightens you so much?" he asks, his voice sounding soft and scary, like a reptile whistle.

"Nothing at all! I was about to return anyway," I answer, hoping to leave quickly.

Alas, he doesn't step aside to let me pass.

"My name is Bernard of Congast, and I'm from the South, like the queen and her sister."

I'm too worried to hear what he's saying. 

He came closer to me, blocking me against the ship's rail.

"That's enough! Get out of my way! The queen's Beguines are waiting for me," I shout, hoping for help.

"Stop playing frightened virgins! I know little whores like you well! You had to spread often your pretty thighs before marrying! A great success, my beauty," he giggles.

I remain speechless, unable to rebuff this monster so much he terrorizes me. He has this atrocious look again, appearing to see me naked and consenting.

"You will kindly follow me in a quiet place! I can't wait to show you how good I'm in bed," he orders, getting closer and closer.

Instinctively, I raise a hand to push him away, but he holds me roughly against him.

"You don't need a soft bed, you little bitch! You would rather feel the floor tearing your skin off! It's perfect for me."

I understand this monster wants to rape me on the spot, at risk of someone coming. I open my mouth to scream, but he hits me in the face with terrifying force. Then he threatens me with a long dagger he wears on his belt.

"Will you shut up? Or I'll cut you before giving your remains to fishes," he roars.

I'm paralyzed, fearing he might hurt my child.

His evil grin revealed his habit of forcing women to obey him, of breaking their resistance. Desperate, I gather my last strength to escape him, and a big boot in my belly throws me down. I writhe in pain when he weighs heavily on me and brandishes his dagger against my face.

"Be docile, now! Don't upset me because I like to play scary games with little whores," he roars.

He put his dagger on his belt to free his hands and commit his crime. I try to defend myself but receive a slap, and blood flows into my mouth. "I will hit harder if you piss me off," he mumbles, pulling my gown up as high as possible.

Like most women, I'm naked under my gown.

The slap was violent.

I'm half knocked out, with no chance of fighting.

He removed his belt and used it to tie my wrists to the ship's rail. "I always get what I want, my beautiful! Willingly or not," he exults as he slips his thick fingers between my thighs.

I try yelling, but no sound comes out of my mouth, except for a faint moan when he's about to rape me. "You will like it! You will want more!" he whispers in my ear.

***

Women were naked under their gowns from the Middle Ages until the 19th century

People thought it was more hygienic 🤦‍♀️