Chapter 20

My husband filled the wooden tub with buckets of seawater to wash our dirty clothes. He scrubs and rinses them vigorously. Then he empties the tub in several trips back and forth between our room and the ship's deck. Finally, he put his clothes and mine to dry on the tub's edge.

I didn't know this Reyn's talent.

I'm on our bed, only covered with my nightgown. I don't get tired of watching him. 

I missed him so much.

Alas, our touching reunion was ruined.

It's as if a curse was coming after me. I crossed the sea to follow Reyn and threw up on him when he appeared.

Now, he walks to the table, grabs the pitcher, and notes it's empty. "Not a single drop of wine left! I won't eat this meatloaf with salt water," he grumbles.

As a good wife, I offer my services. "I can go and see the Beguines. They surely have a few pitchers of wine, and it's not far."

"Nice idea, Ada!" he roars. "Run in your nightgown on the ship's deck! Under the sailors' noses, of course! And everyone will talk about your great exploits!"

I remain speechless, frightened by the magnitude of the storm.

"Stay here!" he says, getting up. "I hope you understood the meaning of these few words."

He leaves the room.

I wait for him again.

When he returns with some wine, he sits down and tastes the meatloaf with relish. "These Beguines are charming. Here are women who bend over backward to follow a man's instructions perfectly," he remarks between mouthfuls.

All because they offered you wine! 

Angry eyes while you devour that damn meatloaf!

He finished.

He comes over to our bed and grabs my face. "Where did that bastard hit you? I'll open his throat with my teeth for that."

"Don't!" I protest. "He's one of the army leaders, and the king would make you pay for it dearly."

"You get on board this vessel with my child in your belly, and you're afraid of a pitiful braggart," he laughs.

My face lights up. So, Aurel accurately reported the latest events.

That damn cousin never misses one.

"You know about the child," I mutter.

He's still staring at me. "I don't appreciate you risking his life and yours when you should both be safe in my father's castle! Imagine how worried he must be. When we land in Cyprus, I'll send a letter, but it'll take several weeks to arrive."

I'm contrite.

I thought of nothing else but to join him.

"You look like a river fairy, or maybe a lake fairy, with your dark eyes and golden hair," he suddenly admits, walking his fingers through my hair.

Oh no! And don't tell me a snake's tail is hidden under my diaphanous look.

He laughs at my anxious face. "Don't worry! I appreciate such beautiful creatures as you! The King's brothers advised me to keep an eye on you, so I'm doing it."

He turns words into actions, and I shudder as his hands explore my body. My skin is burning under his, recognizing him with fidelity and passion.

I did well to pursue you on the sea.

I regret nothing, my love.

"I'll kill that monster quietly," he whispers. "You must trust me, Ada."

I wrap myself around him, a bit like a castaway.

I'm frightened of the passion. It overwhelms me to the point of drawing Reyn against me with violence. It's in my heart, in my flesh I missed him. Our desire panics us, and we fight as two demons anxious to satisfy each other without restraint. We're entangled now, one body, one soul perhaps.

We split up regretfully to start again and again until exhaustion. Reyn fell asleep peacefully, and images passed through me with happiness.

My thighs spread, then my legs tied around him when he was inside me. My hands clutched his broad shoulders while my cries disturbed the night when most had sunk into Hypnos's arms.

At rest, he looks much younger. Like a blind woman, I dare to touch the contours of his mouth.

I speak to you softly. I confess my fears since you'll go into battle. And if by misfortune you were mortally wounded, my science not knowing how to save the man, I would make you drink my blood. 

So the ancient wolves' power would allow you to survive as a beast.

And for five long years, I would bring you a meat ration daily. I would put it next to clothes left there, to be used when you become a man again.

But you wouldn't have to eat human flesh if I were dead.

Or you would remain a wolf for eternity!

Because I know you could be immortal in this form.

Then you would live far from men and their rage, in the vast forests, towards the highest mountains, where winter covers the ground with snow and ice.

Thus years and centuries would pass.

***