Chapter 24

Mistress Hersende was afraid I would be lost because blood was pouring out. Then it finally stopped.

But she thought I was dead when she saw my face so pale and my breath so weak.

She told me how rage seized Reyn. He should have prayed for our salvation. But maybe wolves don't know the prayers. They devour all around them if their heart is broken. And they continue to kill as long as the slaughter isn't over.

Count and Countess of Anjou brought the best King's physician to my bedside. He was the man sickened by the high seas. He bandaged my injured hand and touched me everywhere under Mistress Hersende's angry eyes.

"Well! A good bloodletting will accelerate healing," he predicted with confidence.

He didn't have the opportunity to use his sharp instruments. Mistress Hersende, in her great wisdom, quickly called Reyn and his cousin to rescue me.

My husband dismissed the man, grabbing him by the collar to throw him out.

Then Mistress Hersende returned to Nicosia palace.

***

For several days, I remain too weak to get up. Reyn, or sometimes Aurel, persists in feeding me and braiding my long golden hair.

Reyn swore to me we would have more children.

I hardly believe it without confessing it frankly.

I always think of my poor little one. I wonder if he suffered when the angel of death took him away.

Some nights, I dream he was born.

He's a beautiful boy, as beautiful as his father.

And I cry a lot.

I will eventually recover from my injuries, alone and silently. But I will never forget that time we were together, the three of us.

My strength is coming back at a snail's pace. However, I can go to the sunny, flowery courtyard below our hostel. I sit and watch life outside. I stare at great white birds in the sky, admiring their ability to follow the wind.

Flying must be no small matter!

I, too, want wings to carry me high above the world's rooftops.

I stop looking at the sky and see Oliver of Termes's tall figure. He smiles and bows to me. "Good morning, young lady! Your husband has kindly allowed me this visit, and I'm grateful to him. How are you doing?"

"Well ... My Lord!" I answer sadly. "I count my steps daily, from my bed to this bench where you find me."

"That's what I thought," he says, eyebrows raised. "How about seeing our war machines? Did you know young women can operate some of them?"

He excited my curiosity. "I didn't know that! And where are these wonders?"

"On three of our ships, well guarded by my crossbowmen!" he replies.

Crossbowmen! Mostly Italians from Genoa or Venice. My father said a crossbow shot could punch through armor or a shield at almost 100 yards. Wounds caused by this weapon are often fatal, and the church forbade crossbows.

But fighters don't hesitate to use it.

I wish to follow the lord of Termes and admire mangonels or trebuchets.

Alas, this could upset Reyn. I presume agreement for this visit was given half-heartedly by my irascible husband, especially at this difficult time for both of us. Nevertheless, I have great sympathy for Oliver of Termes.

And I believe he feels the same way.

Why not inform him about Bernard of Congast?

"Do you know your second officer harasses many honest women and will be rough if he doesn't get their favor?" I say firmly.

"He's an excellent soldier," he sighs. "We both fought alongside the King of Aragon to conquer Majorca and Valencia. I'm not unaware of Congast's exactions, but we're at war, and I can't do without this officer."

I have tears in my eyes.

The monster must be enjoying all his horrible deeds. He will remain unpunished until the end of time.

"What's going on, young lady?" Oliver asks, worried by my silence. "Did Congast bother you?"

God! The word is so weak.

"That filthy pig tried to rape me on one of the ship's decks!" I yell.

The evocation of these terrible moments almost takes my breath away.

"I fought back, but he was too strong! I fell hard, and it didn't stop him. Fortunately, my husband's cousin intervened and saved me from the worst. At least, that's what I thought."

Unconsciously, I put my hands on my belly.

"Damn it! That scoundrel will hear from me! Looking at their determination to kill each other in training, I guessed a bad history between him and your husband," the master of crossbowmen roars.

"Will you get him hanged?" I say, hopeful.

He shakes his head. "The King won't sacrifice one of his knights just before the battle, but I'm on your side. His life won't be worth a bezant when I send him on the front line against Saracens."

It's a poor consolation, but I will deal with it. I'm most afraid of another duel between Congast and Reyn. My husband has exceptional strength. Alas, the scoundrel doesn't lack experience and vice.

I have one last important request and intend to obtain it.

"My lord, I've entrusted you with my painful secret. I want you to do me a great favor in return."

He watches me and nods, "Young lady, you have it!"

"Even if my request is special. Do you swear it?"

"You intrigue me!" he says, laughing. "What's this about?"

I stand up to show my determination.

"My lord, I heard you were the best of our crossbowmen."

"Young lady, you flatter me!" he protests.

"I want you to teach me," I whisper shyly.

"But you're so thin!" he exclaims, wide-eyed with surprise. "And your husband will probably not approve."

"Indeed! Reyn will never agree to my project. So I'm asking you for this favor."

He doesn't hold back his laughter anymore. "Young lady! You're amazing! Well, I'm curious to take on such a challenge."

I won.

If Bernard of Congast survives against Reyn's sword or the crusade, he will meet my crossbow bolt.

I'm a Visconti.

I'm the Snakes' daughter.

And I want revenge!

***

In the Middle Ages, the term bezant was used in Western Europe to describe some gold coins