Chapter 21

When Reyn got up, he hunted for his dear cousin. No doubt about playing war games as they were used to in Chasseney.

Of course, I'm supposed to wait patiently for him in a tiny four-by-four-yard room. I'm an obedient wife, so I stay for a long time looking at the ceiling.

Then I need to stretch my legs.

I enjoy the sea breeze, leaning against the ship's rail. When I turn around, I notice a soldier who has difficulty walking. I have seen this stiff, unsteady gait while working with my father. I'm sure of my diagnosis.

This patient has a boil on his bum!

I'm excited to show off my strong medical knowledge and use it to relieve this poor man.

So I run to him and touch his shoulder. "Greetings! You seem to be in an awful way."

He gives me a wide smile. "To say the least, young lady! You're up early."

Damn it! He's not an ordinary soldier but the man who commands many of them.

The master of crossbowmen!

He laughs at my surprise when a painful grimace twists his face.

"My lord, your boil must be treated, or fever may occur."

"The King's physician took care of it, but it's worsening. Moreover, the guy has been sick for several days because of the rolling," he mumbles between two complaints.

"I can help you," I say confidently.

He's astonished, a little suspicious. "Young lady, I hardly see how?"

I lead him to my tiny room, and he can't resist so much he suffers. On the way, I briefly inform him about my abilities. "My father was an excellent physician. I practiced medicine with him for many years."

We cross the door, and I put a clean sheet on the bed. "Lie down on your stomach, my lord! You have to draw down hose too."

The master of crossbowmen almost chokes at the prospect. "My goodness! I'll be bare-assed in front of you."

I nod and get everything I need.

"It seems so," I finally say, smiling.

He ends up complying, and the sight is awful. "Damn! A good physician doesn't work so clumsily. Some butcher wouldn't have done worse."

I give my verdict. "My lord, I must send you to sleep! I have no choice."

"I've seen the Temple's physicians use this magic. It wasn't reassuring," he answers anxiously.

I make him sniff an herbal mixture, and he quickly enters Hypnos's kingdom. I delicately remove bandages soaked with various ointments the King's physician has applied inside the wound.

According to Simon, this technique produces serious, fatal effects for the patients. He said it was better to clean injuries carefully with wine, then put bandages on wounds and not in them.

Messire of Termes is a bit feverish, so I prepare some willow. Then I make him breathe a few vinegar drops to wake him. When I left Champagne, I only took a little clothing but packed my horse with my medicine books, precious remedies, and medical supplies.

My patient emerges from sleep and takes the willow without grumbling. He already gets better. The effect of herbal remedies is still felt and attenuates the pain. The master of crossbowmen is in a hurry to move, so I put clean bandages on his boil.

He takes some steps and ventures cautiously on the ship's deck. "Young lady, you're a skilled physician! A rare talent! Your father was an excellent teacher," he notes gratefully.