Chapter 23

Cyprus Island, port of Limassol, 1248

From the topmast, the sailor on the lookout sees the land.

So it's a great upheaval on board and ships around. And in a short time, the whole fleet landed at Limassol Port. 

We were on September 18, 1248.

Food supplies have already been brought to the island. We move forward among wine barrels piled one above the other. They stand next to mountains of wheat and barley, extending from shore to the fields.

On the island, the bright sea blue mixes with pale sky colors. High cliffs surrounded valleys, and old stone houses tell the soul of people living there, for foreigners from far away.

King Louis and his family will stay at Nicosia Palace, built on a plain where water flows abundantly. It's said in the palace gardens, cedars, myrrh, and beautiful orange trees flourish.

The army is camped around Caménoriaqui. It's a small village where Reyn has found housing, but Aurel and those of Chasseney must be satisfied with living in tents. 

Our young knights dream of glorious victories and exterminated enemies. Before coming battles, they train relentlessly at Nicosia in a great stronghold.

Sometimes the King, his family, and the Cyprus court attend these confrontations where the belligerents test their skill in a fight.

Reyn doesn't appreciate Beatrice inviting me to the show. "You're expecting a baby! These brutal games aren't advisable in your condition," he grumbles.

Maybe the memory of my escapade in Champagne, on the Templar house wall, still bothers him.

"I'm only in my early pregnancy, and my father argued women could enjoy war too," I protest, determined to watch him in action.

"And to parade on a steed!" he laughs.

Seeing my angry face, he draws me against him and softly caresses my belly.

"If it's a boy, he will like the clash of the swords," he says.

I hold myself tightly against him. But our quarrels please him much more than they annoy him.

A boy?

Why not a girl who wished to become a soldier?

Couldn't some ladies love hunting, handling a bow, crossbow, or even a sword?

On the way to Nicosia, I discover an impressive number of churches and cathedrals.

The wall surrounding the stronghold is much higher than that of the Templar house in Buxières. I sat on a big flat stone with the Beguines. They blush and giggle while admiring our knights under Mistress Hersende's stern look. I scan the place carefully to see Reyn and his two golden lions.

Then I feel an evil presence brushing the Beguines and me.

They're white with fright.

And I remember Mistress Hersende's words: "On the ship, this evil pig is dreaded by women. Some have accepted his advances, by vice, or fear."

Bernard of Congast is in armor. He isn't wearing his helmet, and his horrible face shows a nasty grin.

It doesn't augur well.

He moves like a wild beast on the hunt for prey. Then he stands in front of two young knights. I recognize Reyn's golden lions and the azure stag, which are Aurel's arms.

Suddenly, Aurel drew his sword, but Reyn interfered.

He's the one who will fight.

"King Louis disapproves of death duels between his soldiers. He didn't want to weaken his forces before the crusade ended. Bernard of Congast knows this rule," Mistress Hersende assures, also watching the scene.

It hardly reassures me.

And unfortunately, King Louis doesn't attend this practice session.

Maybe the monster plans to kill Reyn underhandedly.

Congast has just violently engaged in combat, and no opponent backs away from the other. The metal shines with a thousand demonic flames. Each seems to be waiting for some groans under the powerful blows hammering so hard on the armors.

The two redoubled their efforts. They're Hell's warriors in a hurry to clash, and I can't take my eyes off Reyn. It's like the sword's fury is insidiously exhausting me.

I have labored breath!

My gown remains stuck to my thighs, and I realize it's drowned in blood.

My blood!

I weakly grasp Mistress Hersende's arm, praying that all this is a bad vision. Now I lie on the rough stone, and my insides are torn apart.

"Courage, my little one! It will be over soon," the midwife promises.

The blood doesn't stop, like a river escaping too fast from my body, invading the whole space around me. I try to get up, and my hair falls heavily on my shoulders and back.

One scrutinizes me with a mixture of pity and desire.

One watches in this way the witches, who are beautiful but ruthlessly led to the stake.

Reyn stands close to the blood.

So the fight is over.

And I see the great world's misery on his noble face.

I understand our child is dying. I beg Mistress Hersende to save him, to preserve his fragile life in exchange for mine.

Despite the blood, I feel the midwife's skillful gestures.

"The unfortunate little being has gone to heaven," she whispers.

Reyn presses me to his heart. Around us, I see knights, sergeants, Olivier of Termes, and Charles of Anjou. All show sad faces in front of this bad woman's affair.

The monster is there, too, with his nasty grin. I want to scream he killed my poor child, but no sound comes out of my mouth.

Under rage, my hand hit the stone strongly.

The pain is searing!

I can't see anything, and darkness embraces me more and more.

***