Twenty Six

A week till Christmas. The weather was growing bleaker and Taehyung's father's wedding was closer.

Arya swathed herself in a thick blanket while peering into the garden through her window, where Taehyung and Amara were throwing snowballs at each other. She picked up their faint giggles. Amara was like Jimin. Goofy, but Jimin suppressed his emotions well.

He took care of her at her lowest, made her smile on her hardest days. Arya believed he was a godsend because there was no way she could have met someone so celestial. Her phone buzzed, shattering the steady silence in her room.

"Speak of the devil." She muttered with a grin on her face.

"Missed me?" She discovered the smirk in his voice.

"Not really. I'm pretty much occupied by everything around here."

"Such a liar!" Jimin hollered, making Arya burst into chuckles.

"Anyway, how did the exhibition go?"

"Oh! You won't believe it! This hot guy picked up interest in my paintings! He took my number and said he would contact me for a deal!"

"That's fantastic! Congratulations! I'm glad for you, Jimin."

"What about you? How are you holding up?" Arya's eyes settled on Amara and Taehyung, who were now just walking hand in hand.

"I've been okay."

"Your tone says otherwise."

She rolled her eyes, irked at how Jimin knew her inside out. She didn't want him to know about what was happening and trouble him.

"I'm fine, really." Jimin sighed, not believing her.

"It feels lonely here without you."

"Should I come back?"

"No! You can't! Your prince charming just re-entered your life again. You can't leave him swinging like that. Who knows what's knocking on your door this time?"

Just then someone knocked on her door. Arya ended the call. When she opened the door, she was abruptly pulled into a hug.

"I missed you." His smooth voice murmured. The familiar cologne all over his clothes gave it away.

"Jungkook." She whispered, hugging him back. No words were said for a few seconds. It was his way of comforting.

Jungkook always cared for Arya. He warned her time and time again that she would only get hurt in the end, but Arya was stubborn. She didn't want to leave without a fight and now, there was nothing to fight for.

Jungkook trailed away and examined your face with anguished eyes.

"Are you okay?"

"Can everybody stop asking me that? It's getting tiring." Arya sat on her bed. Jungkook took the spot beside her.

"When did you come back?"

"This morning. I wanted to see you first." Arya smiled at him.

"Still being the good friend, I see." She teased. Jungkook smirked.

"Still that friend who wouldn't mind punching that man."

Arya chuckled. Punches would simply cause pain, not love.

"Taehyung told me everything." Arya stared at her palms, a lump forming in her throat.

"I want to forget everything for a moment. It's just all too much to take in."

"It's not fair to you." Jungkook sighed, looking at Arya. He was surprised by how composed she was all the time, never letting her emotions take over anything. He had constantly regarded her as a bright woman, intelligent and not to mention the most gorgeous being he had come across.

Jungkook suddenly stood up from the bed and held out his hand. Arya stared at him with raised eyebrows.

"I heard you barely get out of this room. It's unhealthy." He stated in a distressed tone.

"I don't feel like going anywhere," Arya argued. Jungkook rolled his eyes and grabbed her hand before dragging her out of the room, unaware of the eyes watching them.

__________

Turmoil.

That was what his whole heart, felt. Staring out his window, watching Arya and Jungkook laughing together over something made a spasm of jealousy course through him.

It had been three days since Jungkook had come back and Taehyung had enough of him already. He also knew Jungkook had been the anchor for Arya in the past. He was there for her when Taehyung abandoned her. It didn't come off as a shock that they both went along just like they both had known each other for years and yet, Taehyung couldn't stop himself from glaring daggers at him.

"Arya!" Amara yelled, hopping towards Arya. It was no secret that Amara had already again warmed up to Arya. She went to her room at night, fell asleep in her bed. Everything was slipping back into place, except Taehyung and Arya weren't where they supposed to be.

"Taehyung." Mia interrupted his peaceful moment, as she wandered into their room. She wrapped her arms around his torso and leaned her head against his back.

"It feels surreal, doesn't it?" Mia sighed. "I never thought I could be with you again."

Taehyung felt guilt wash over him. It wasn't fair to her, it wasn't fair to Arya, it wasn't fair to him, but Mia shouldn't realize the truth. At least not anytime soon.

Taehyung turned around with a forced smile. Mia was splendid, but Taehyung's heart didn't skip a beat. As he hugged her back, he couldn't help but wish he was holding Arya instead.

He was certainly beginning to feel how you felt all those years.

"Yeah. It doesn't feel real at all." He confirmed stepped out of her hug. He clutched his coat from the bed.

"I'll be leaving now." He declared.

"Can you come back home a little sooner? We haven't bought Christmas presents yet."

Taehyung nodded as Mia kissed him on the cheek.

"I love you."

Oh, how he yearned to hear those words from her all those years! Now, it made him want to disappear from the face of the earth. He couldn't face Mia anymore. He hadn't got the guts to tell her he wasn't the same Taehyung that loved her to death.

Fate was playing a game indeed. An evil game at that. How many heartbreaks till they found happiness?