Twenty Five

Meeting him was destiny. Falling in love with him was something she had no control over or she wouldn't have deliberately fallen for him when she could have spared herself all the suffering.

Arya chuckled, realizing what a vicious game life was playing with her. Just when she thought things were moving back to how they were supposed to be, something had to come up and ruin it.

Her mind raced around her encounter with Mia. She was alive and healthy. Amara had got her mother back. She had no doubt Taehyung, and Mia were together. The man was head over heels for her till a few months ago. It hurt to think about it.

"I can't seem to get a break." Arya whispered, staring at the ceiling. She was in her old room, which was left untouched. It was her haven, but that night even her cozy bed failed to put her to sleep.

When the morning came, Arya stepped downstairs. As much as she didn't want to see anybody, she couldn't lock herself up for days. The sooner she confronted, the better.

Upon reaching the kitchen, Arya heard laughter. Mia and Taehyung's dad were sitting at the table, chuckling about something. It was her and Taehyung's dad once but times had changed and Arya couldn't help but feel replaced.

"Arya, why are you just standing there? Come on here." Taehyung's dad suggested, noticing Arya by the kitchen frame. She sat down beside Taehyung's dad, awkwardly.

"Let me get you a plate." Mia went to get up.

"No, thank you. I don't feel hungry." Arya replied, meeting Mia's gaze, and it pierced right through her heart. She could feel Taehyung's dad's eyes on her, but she didn't dare to meet it. She just wanted to lock herself and cry her pain out once again.

"I'm sorry about your mother." Mia gave her condolences. Arya gave her a stiff smile. Minutes of silence afterward, Mia left the kitchen to wakeup Amara.

"Tell me everything." Arya demanded of Taehyung's dad. He sighed in response.

"Mia was never dead." He began. "She was on a ventilator for so many days that the doctors almost gave upon her. That was when Mia's parents handed over Amara's custody to Taehyung. Nobody imagined she would get better. Guess, miracles do happen."

Why can't a miracle happen to her? She was sick of things going against her all the time.

Taehyung came downstairs, folding his sleeves, with a coat resting on his arm. His strides slowed down when he saw Arya. The moment didn't last long as Mia came behind him.

"Tae! You forgot your tie. Here, let me do it for you." Arya looked away from the scene.

"Come back home soon. Rachel wanted us to go wedding shopping with her. I love you." Arya's heart beat out of her chest as she awaited his response.

"I love you too." And it crashed into pieces once again.

"I'll go take a shower." Arya quickly excused herself and climbed up to her room, stepping past Taehyung. As soon as she locked herself in the bathroom, the tears dropped. She couldn't blame anyone. Taehyung had every right to go back to Mia. That woman was his entire life. Arya didn't stand a chance against her.

Arya had apparently let Taehyung go eight months ago. It turned out she was still holding on. With Mia back, everything felt it was back to square one again.

Arya foolishly gave into her heart and had gotten hurt. She was still hurting but there was no repeating her mistake. She would protect her heart at all costs.

__________

"Arya, where did you go all these days? You disappeared so suddenly. You didn't even say goodbye to me." Amara pouted as she sat next to Arya in the backseat of the car while Taehyung and Mia took the front.

Rachel requested Arya to go shopping with her along with everybody. Arya politely refused. The last thing she wanted was to be around Taehyung and Mia, but Rachel insisted.

"I'm sorry, Amara. I had to attend work." I was a coward.

"Daddy was so sad. He didn't smile for many days." Arya looked at Taehyung, whose gaze was on the road.

"I didn't know you both were that close." Mia chimed in. Taehyung said nothing while Arya frowned in confusion. Doesn't Mia know about what went on between me and Taehyung?

Her question was unanswered as the car came to a halt in front of a boutique. Standing at the entrance was Rachel.

"It's so nice to finally meet you in person." She squeezed Arya into a hug, making her beam.

"I could say the same."

Everybody walked inside and settled on the lounge before Rachel began trying wedding dresses.

"Why didn't you let dad, come? He would have been elated to pick a dress for you." Mia teased while fixing the pure white dress on Rachel.

"He insisted, but what surprise would it be if he sees it beforehand. I want his jaw drop when sees me on the aisle and if he doesn't cry, I'm cancelling the wedding." Rachel joked, making everybody laugh.

Arya realized that was how it must feel to go on a wedding shopping. Fun and exciting. One was expected to create wonderful memories. What she felt was quite on the contrary.

Taehyung went with her to choose a dress, never paid mind to everything she tried. He was always on his phone and just gave a subtle nod when she asked him how she looked. It was wrecked before it even began.

Arya felt eyes on her as she stroked Amara's hair who was sleeping on her lap. She looked up to see Taehyung staring at her with an expression she couldn't grasp.

"Where's Jungkook? I haven't seen him around."

"He's been travelling the world." He replied. "Are you alright?"

Arya nodded. Taehyung glanced at Mia and Rachel, who were busy with choosing a dress.

"Can you not tell Mia about us?" Taehyung asked.

"You don't have to ask me." She replied, swallowing the lump forming in her throat.

As harsh as it was, she figured out that Taehyung didn't wish Mia to dwell on what happened.

Was she not worth the effort?

She, now, knew. Those three precious words Taehyung uttered on the night before she left, they didn't carry any truth. He couldn't fall in love with her while still being in love with someone else.

Arya was sick of being someone's maybe. For once, she craved to be someone's always.