Twenty Two

"Arya, you need to eat. It's been two days since you ate a full meal." Jimin said, walking into her room. Arya didn't turn her gaze away from her backyard where guests spread around.

Her mother didn't have many friends. After her father died, she kept her circle small and close. Arya didn't know half of those people, but it gave her a little peace knowing her mother had a good life.

"I'm not hungry." She replied coldly. Jimin sighed as he put the plate of food on the nightstand. He wrapped his arms around her lean figure. Arya leaned back into his chest.

"Don't keep it all inside." He whispered, hugging her closer. Tears pricked her eyes. She hadn't cried since the day in the hospital.

She locked herself in a room and stared at the wall blankly, barely talked or ate while Jimin took care of arranging the funeral. It was hard to accept reality.

"I-I still can't get my head around it. She was talking to me on the phone just the other day and the next thing I know...." Her breathing turned shallow.

"Shh..." Jimin whispered sweet nothings in her ear as she let out heartbreaking sobs. They say crying it out makes the heart light, but it didn't seem like it. The more she cried, the heavier her heart grew.

Thirty minutes later, Arya calmed down and finished a small part of the food Jimin brought her.

"Have some more."

"I can't." She placed the plate back on the nightstand before standing up.

"I should go greet the guests."

"Think you can handle it?" Jimin frowned. Arya shook her head before turning her gaze towards Jimin.

"I don't know but you will be there..." She paused for a second, "...right?"

Jimin didn't let go of her hand the entire time she greeted the guests. He gave her a little of squeeze of assurance, now and then. Everybody sympathized with her telling how unfortunate it was and that her mom was in a better place now. Arya knew all of it, and hearing them again and again didn't make her feel better.

Among the guests, familiar grey hairs stood out. Taehyung's father was a few feet away from her. His eyes held so much sorrow. He did not utter a word as he stopped at her frail figure. Her sight could barely hold his'. Taehyung's father knew what she needed was not sympathy. No soothing words or comfort could ease the heaviness in her heart.

"It's been a while, huh?" He asked, wrapping his arms around her. Arya missed his gentle voice. She missed how it felt to have a father. She missed his hugs.

Although she had been in touch with Taehyung's family, she backed away from keeping in touch with Taehyung himself. She thought she was doing what was best for her.

"Thanks for coming." Arya replied.

Taehyung's father couldn't comprehend why his daughter had to face heartbreak after heartbreak. First, it was her father, then Taehyung, now her mother. He wondered what else she would have to go through before she found happiness.

When Arya pulled away, her eyes searched behind his shoulder for a certain someone.

"He is not here." Taehyung's dad answered her unasked question. Arya gave him a tiny nod before proceeding with other guests.

The guests dispersed slowly and when it was close to evening, only Jimin, Arya and Taehyung's father were sitting around the fire.

"How's Amara?" Arya asked. Taehyung's father laughed.

"She has grown taller, learned to talk back to her father." He chuckled, remembering those moments. "She asks about you, time to time."

"I miss her." She answered when the doorbell rang. Jimin stood up from the floor to get it.

"He's one handsome man." Taehyung's father said, making Arya chuckle.

"You better tell me he's your boyfriend." Arya shook her head.

"He's not, dad."

"Well, why not? He seems like a gentleman."

Before Arya could answer, somebody cleared their throat behind her and Arya looked around to find Taehyung standing in all his glory.

She stared at him without blinking, as breath knocked out of her throat. The last time she saw him, his black hair was silky straight and fell on his forehead. It was now longer curled and swiped to the side making him look a million times more attractive.

"Taehyung," Arya addressed, standing up.

He moved forward and pulled her into an unexpected hug. It was only then she realized how much she had missed him. There were very few moments she recalled where Taehyung showed affection and empathy. To experience it first hand after a long time was overwhelming.

"I'm sorry." He whispered. "I should have come sooner."

"It's okay." Arya pulled away and looked into his eyes. They held sadness, frustration and helplessness as though a lot of words were dying to get out.

"Guys..." Jimin broke the silence. "...dinner's ready."

The clinking of spoons against the plates was the only thing heard in the kitchen. Arya had no appetite, and she could tell nobody in the room had any.

"The food is delicious, Jimin." Taehyung's father complimented. Jimin gave him a warm smile.

"You should taste my steak. Arya dies for it." He said nudging her.

"Learn to be humble, Jimin."

"There's nothing wrong with being proud of my work." He reasoned, making her fight a smile.

All while Taehyung watched Arya and Jimin with narrowed eyes. It was hard to admit himself, but he felt that familiar burn in his chest. He was jealous. He had always been the center of her world and to see another man have the things he had been craving for, didn't settle well with him.

"You both fight like a couple." Taehyung's father said, making Taehyung choke on his food.

"Eat slowly. No one's going to snatch your food away."

Taehyung father's snickered, making Taehyung glare at him. His phone vibrated in his pocket. He pulled it out to find a message on the screen.

When are you coming home?

I'll be late tonight. Don't wait for me.

Love you

Love you, too.